World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jindřichův Hradec

Article Id: WHEBN0002704100
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jindřichův Hradec  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kurt Adler, Horní Skrýchov, Kardašova Řečice, Peč, South Bohemian Region
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jindřichův Hradec

Jindřichův Hradec
Town
Flag
Coat of arms
Country Czech Republic
Region South Bohemian
District Jindřichův Hradec
Commune Jindřichův Hradec
River Nežárka
Elevation 475 m (1,558 ft)
Coordinates
Area 74.27 km2 (28.68 sq mi)
Population 22,604 (2007-03-01)
Density 304 / km2 (787 / sq mi)
First mentioned 1220
Mayor Karel Matoušek
Timezone CET (UTC+1)
 - summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 377 01
Location in the Czech Republic
Wikimedia Commons:
Statistics: statnisprava.cz
Website: www.jh.cz

Jindřichův Hradec (Czech pronunciation: ; German: Neuhaus) is a town in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It has approximately 22,700 inhabitants.

History

The first written mention of the town is in 1220. Before that, it was probably a Slavic settlement. At the end of the 12th century more people arrived. At the beginning of the 13th century a Gothic castle was built (it was gradually rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau in the 16th century). In the census following the Thirty Years' War, Jindřichův Hradec was the second largest city in the Kingdom of Bohemia. Between 1831-1935 it was the first city in the area to get electricity for lighting, in 1888 the water mill was converted to electricity.

Main sights

The city castle and palace is the third largest in the country after those in Prague and Český Krumlov. It covers three ha. and contains 320 rooms. More than 10,000 works of art and a similar number of books may be found there.

The district museum, which is in a renaissance building that was once the Jesuit seminary appeared in the city in 1882 and is one of the oldest regional museums in Bohemia. The most well-known item in the museum is the Kryza, the largest mechanical Christmas manger scene in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

  • Preserved Jewish Cemetery (Dates back from 15th century)
  • The Church of Ascension
  • The Chapel of Saint Mary Magdalene
  • The Church of Saint John the Baptist with the nearby building that once housed minorite monks and was later an infirmary.
  • The Church of the Most Holy Trinity
  • The Church of Saint Catherine
  • The Church of Saint James
  • The Church of Saint Wenceslas

Houses in the marketplace (Friendensplatz) with the pristine gothic city hall

Surroundings

Jindřichův Hradec's neighbourhood includes sites such as Červená Lhota Castle, the historical town of Třeboň and Stráž nad Nežárkou. The UNESCO World Heritage town of Telč lies 40 kilometres (25 miles) to the east.

People

von Neuhaus

Sister city

Trivia

  • Asteroid 21873 Jindřichůvhradec is named in honour of city
  • Gymnasium Vitězslava Nováka was founded in 1595, making it one of the oldest non-university schools in Central Europe

External links

  • Municipal website (cs, de, en)
  • Jindrichuv Hradec - travel guide ( basic facts, history, sights, one-day trips)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.