World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Czersk

For other places with the same name, see Czersk (disambiguation).
Czersk

Saint Mary Magdalene Church

Coat of arms
Czersk
Czersk

Coordinates: 53°47′34″N 17°58′26″E / 53.79278°N 17.97389°E / 53.79278; 17.97389

Country  Poland
Voivodeship Pomeranian
County Chojnice
Gmina Czersk
Established 13th century
Town rights 1386-1772, 1926
Government
 • Mayor Marek Jankowski
Area
 • Total 9.73 km2 (3.76 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 9,463
 • Density 970/km2 (2,500/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 89-650
Area code(s) +48 52
Car plates GCH
Website www.czersk.pl

Czersk [t͡ʂɛrsk] (German: Czersk; Heiderode (1942-1945)) is a town in northern Poland in Chojnice County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.

On July 1, 2006 this municipality celebrated 80 years of granting this community (July 1, 1926) the status of city.

Today the centrum of City of Czersk in downtown is the Village Square. The infrastructure was recently modernized, rebuilt roadway system, modern center of commerce, 400 seats sport hall, water and wastewater treatment systems, railroad station.

The historical treasure is Neo-baroque-style parish church. The oldest described and documented church is from the year of 1584. The recent church was erected between 1910-1913 based on the project of F.O. Hossfed. The local industries include timber processing mills, brick factory, paper plant, woving plant, furniture, metallurgy and factory of agricultural equipment, brewery, large trout farm, and food processing. The craft and commerce are flourishing.

History

The most significant historical dates of City of Czersk:

  • 13th century – The establishment of the parish community including Rytel, Łąg, Mokre, Malachin.
  • 1309 - The oldest historical evidence supports the fact the growth of the settlement after Teutonic Knights have overtaken the Pomeranian Gdańsk and establishing the Tuchola community. At that time Czersk was a country site with operating mill, inn, bitumic trade and bees farms.
  • 1330 – The first historical acknowledgment of Czersk community.
  • 1584 – Publication about first and the oldest known description of the Czersk church;
  • 1772–1902 – Partitions of Poland and Annexation to Prussia;
  • 1827 – The first carriages are crossing Czersk the horse carriage tract between Berlin and Königsberg;
  • 1873 – Opening of Eastern Railroad Berlin – Königsberg; first major commercial economical development;
  • 1887 – Startup of Herman Shütta enterprise – presently Czersk Furniture Factory KLOSE; The beginning of history of furniture manufacturing in Czersk;
  • 1913 – Completion of construction of still existing Czersk Church;
  • 1914–1918 – First World War; Through the prisoner camp located around Łukow passed about 50,000 war prisoners mainly Russian;
  • January 29, 1920 – With victorious entry of General Józef Haller de Hallenburg Blue Army armed forces, Czersk return to Poland after Partitions of Poland and Prussian annexation and domination;
  • July 1, 1926 r. – Czersk receive from the than Polish Government the City rights;
  • September 1, 1939–February 21, 1945 – Second World War with the period of Nazi occupation (harassment, killing, executions and murders of citizens of Czersk and surrounding terrains, murders of the elite, political and administrative personnel). Establishment of armed partisan formation, undercover operation of very poorly armed resistance groups;
  • February 21, 1945 – Entry of Red Army to Czersk, end of Hitler's Nazi occupation;
  • May 27, 1990 – First after II World War alleged democratic election with self-determination of Czersk community;
  • 1994–2002 – Construction of new center of commerce around J.Ostrowski street;
  • January 19, 2001 – Completion of 400 seats Sport's arena Hall named after R. Bruski;
  • Starting from 1990 – Systematic development of modern infrastructure (potable water system, sewer system and wastewater treatment plants (Czersk and Rytel), heating gas distribution, development of modern road system, modernisation of railroad);

External links

  • Official website

Coordinates: 53°47′N 17°58′E / 53.783°N 17.967°E / 53.783; 17.967

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.