World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dotnuva

Article Id: WHEBN0005250536
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dotnuva  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kėdainiai District Municipality, Kaunas County, Towns in Kaunas County, Aleksandras Stulginskis University, Agriculture in Lithuania
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dotnuva


Dotnuva is a small town with a 2003 population of 775 in central Lithuania, 10 km northwest of Kėdainiai, in the Kėdainiai district municipality. It is located on the Dotnuvėlė River. The geographical center of Lithuania, in the village of Ruoščiai, is only a few kilometers away from the town.

Church of Dotnuva

The first mention of the name Dotnuva was in 1372. The Dotnuva estate was known from the 16th century. In 1636 the first wooden church was built. The Brzostowski family, the owners of surrounding land and town, invited Bernardines from Vilnius and in 1701, a Bernardine monastery was established in the town. The monastery was begun to be built in 1768 and the church in 1773–1810. This monastery also kept the primary school similar to the other Bernardine monasteries. The school was opened in 1796 and in beginning of the 19th century managed to grow to the level of high school (gymnasium). But as the monks got involved in the 1831 Uprising against Russian rule, the school was closed in 1836.

The town has a long history of farming education. In 1911-1914 Pyotr Stolypin founded the farming school in the old estate. For this school the new nice building was built (destroyed in 1944). In 1924 Dotnuva Agricultural College was founded in Dotnuva estate, these days called Akademija. On 26 February 1947, the first kolkhoz in Lithuania – the Marytės Melninkaitės kolūkis – was established nearby.

External links

  • The monastery in Dotnuva


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.