World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gailingen

Article Id: WHEBN0010038388
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gailingen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Konstanz (district), List of postal codes in Germany
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gailingen

Gailingen

Rhine River at Gailingen

Coat of arms
Gailingen
Gailingen

Coordinates: 47°41′49″N 8°45′18″E / 47.69694°N 8.75500°E / 47.69694; 8.75500Coordinates: 47°41′49″N 8°45′18″E / 47.69694°N 8.75500°E / 47.69694; 8.75500

Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Freiburg
District
Government
 • Mayor Heinz Brennenstuhl
Area
 • Total 13.17 km2 (5.08 sq mi)
Elevation 469 m (1,539 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 2,772
 • Density 210/km2 (550/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 78262
Dialling codes 07734
Vehicle registration KN
Website www.gailingen.de

Gailingen is a town in the district of Konstanz in Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany.

It is situated in the southern part of the landscape called Hegau in a unique location on the northern bank of the Rhine River (High Rhine) just across from Switzerland and close to the Lake of Constance. It is therefore also called Gailingen am Hochrhein ("G. on the Upper Rhine"). The population currently is 3070.

History

Founded over 1,000 years ago, Gailingen was first mentioned in a document in 965 A.D However, the village probably dates back to the 5th century when the Alamanni settled in the area. The name “Gailingen” literally refers to “the people of Geilo,” one of the Alamanni leaders.

In the 11th century, a family of noblemen owned the area and probably erected a castle on the Rauhenberg mountain. This castle is gone for long already but left its name on that part of the mountain. In the 14th century, ownership was transferred to the former noble family of Randegg, which left her sign of a lion’s head in the town’s shield.

The town changed hands numerous times in the course of the following centuries. In 1540, the neighbouring city of Schaffhausen (in Switzerland) purchased one third of the domain; the other parts were owned by several families, with the Liebenfels family being responsible for the construction of a lovely small castle called “Liebenfelsisches Schloesschen” in 1750.


Beginning in the mid-17th century, Gailingen became the home of several Jewish families and gradually became one of the largest Jewish communities in the south of Germany. They built a synagogue, school, hospital and old people’s home, and their population reached a number almost as high as that of the non-Jewish population. In 1870, the town elected its first Jewish mayor. Seven years later, both Jewish and non-Jewish children were attending the same school. Members of both faiths were living together peacefully until Hitler’s rise to power. In October 1940, over 200 Jews from Gailingen were rounded up from their homes to be deported to France.

Infrastructure

In 1950, Gailingen became the seat for a rehabilitation clinic, and in 1972, a second one specifically addressing young people followed. A new church and a new school were built as well. What used to be a largely agricultural village is now a modern town, catering to tourists from all over the world. Due to its beautiful location, clean air, and peaceful surroundings Gailingen was awarded the title “national health resort” in 1977.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.