World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gregório Lopes

Article Id: WHEBN0008482530
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gregório Lopes  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Évora, Manueline, Renaissance
Collection: 1490S Births, 1550 Deaths, 16Th-Century Portuguese People, Court Painters, Portuguese Painters, Portuguese Renaissance Painters
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gregório Lopes

Martyrdom of St Sebastian by Gregório Lopes. This painting was originally executed for the Round Church of the Convent of Christ in Tomar (c.1536). National Museum of Ancient Art, Lisbon

Gregório Lopes (c. 1490 – 1550) was one of the most important Renaissance painters from Portugal.

Gregório Lopes was educated in the workshop of Order of Santiago.

The work of Gregório Lopes mainly consists of painted religious Lisbon. Also in the 1520s he painted panels for the Church of Paraíso (Paradise), also in Lisbon. In his first fase, Gregório Lopes also worked in Sesimbra, Setúbal and in the Monastery of Ferreirim, in this latter case together with Cristóvão de Figueiredo and Garcia Fernandes.

The painter moved in the 1530s to the city of Tomar, where he painted various panels for the Round Church of the Convent of Christ (1536–1539) and the main altarpiece of the Church of Saint John the Baptist (1538–1539). His last known works include altarpieces for the Convent of Santos-o-Novo in Lisbon (1540) and the Valverde Convent, near Évora (1545).

Many of Gregório Lopes' works can be seen in the National Museum of Ancient Art, in Lisbon. His son, Cristóvão Lopes (1516–1594), was also an artist and worked as a portrait painter for the Portuguese royal family.

References

  • Portuguese painting in the Age of Humanism (by Joaquim Oliveira Caetano).
  • Portuguese Renaissance painting (by Maria José Palla).

External links

  • Paintings by Gregório Lopes (Six Centuries of Portuguese Painting website).


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.