Hagon Beck

Hagon Beck
Hagon Beck and Gunton Park Sawmill
Country England
State Norfolk
Region East of England
District North Norfolk
 - location North of the Village of Roughton, East of England, England
 - elevation 148 ft (45 m)
Mouth Feeds into Great Lake in Gunton Park
 - coordinates 51|48.5|N|1|17|55.8|E|type:river_region:GB name=


Length 3.2 mi (5 km)
Hagon Beck Source within North Norfolk
Gunton Watermill
Gunton Park Sawmill

Hagon Beck is a minor watercourse which rises in the north of the English county of Norfolk [1] . It falls into Great Lake in Gunton Park, which in turn feeds Suffield Beck. Suffield Beck is a tributary of Blackwater Beck which in turn joins the River Bure. Its spring is a little north of the North Norfolk village of Roughton. There were two watermills on the beck. The first was located at Gunton, and the second is a sawmill in Suffield Park.

Gunton Watermill

The Domesday Book of 1068 records a watermill[2] on Hagon Beck at Gunton that continued working right through the medieval period. The estate on which the mill stood was sold in 1676, and by then the mill had ceased to work, although a map that was provided in the sale particulars showed that the millpond still remained. The millpond was still shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1838, although, by the time this map was published, Hagon Beck had been dammed to form the lake known as Great Water to the north of the mill. It is likely that it was the damming of the beck that caused the demise of Gunton Watermill. Great Water was created to feed Gunton Park Sawmill.

Gunton Park Sawmill

Gunton Park Sawmill was built as a sawmill in the 1820s to provide sawn timber for the 12,000-acre (4,900 ha) Gunton Hall Estate.[3] It is the only surviving water powered sawmill in Norfolk. It was constructed as a simple timber-framed building open on three sides. It has a hipped thatched roof of the local Norfolk reed. Hagon Beck fed the lake, and the mill was set below the water level which provided the power to drive two identical 12-foot-diameter (3.7 m), 5-foot-wide (1.5 m) breastshot wheels via a guillotine gate. One wheel powered the main 6-foot-6-inch (1.98 m) flywheel driven reciprocating saw, and the other was set to drive a circular saw and ancillary equipment, including a small corn mill that was also included at the mill site. The outflow from the sawmill then became Hagon Beck once more, eventually rejoining the original watercourse.

Saw Mill Photos


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.