World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Josvainiai

Article Id: WHEBN0017410446
Reproduction Date:

Title: Josvainiai  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kėdainiai District Municipality, Šušvė, Samogitian uprisings
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Josvainiai

Josvainiai
Town

Coat of arms
Josvainiai
Josvainiai

Coordinates: 55°14′50″N 23°50′00″E / 55.24722°N 23.83333°E / 55.24722; 23.83333Coordinates: 55°14′50″N 23°50′00″E / 55.24722°N 23.83333°E / 55.24722; 23.83333

Country  Lithuania
Ethnographic region Aukštaitija
County Municipality Kėdainiai district municipality
Eldership Josvainiai eldership
Capital of Josvainiai eldership
First mentioned 1538
Granted city rights March 29, 1792
Population (2004)
 • Total 1,545
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Josvainiai is a small town in Kėdainiai district, central Lithuania. It is located on the Šušvė River 10 km southwest from Kėdainiai. In the town there is a Catholic church, secondary school, post office and public library.

History

Historians believe that there was a medieval castle in Josvainiai, and it was attacked by the Teutonic Knights many times.

The town was granted city rights and coat of arms on March 29, 1792. On July 19, 2006 the town was granted renewed coat of arms by a presidential decree.

Jews first settled in Josvainiai in the 17th Century, by 1897, 534 Jews lived in the town, constituting 40% of the total population.[1] There was a synagogue and a Jewish school. Most Jews were expelled during World War I. During their absence, a large part of the town burned down. After the War, some returned. Before the Holocaust, the Jewish population was 270, about 70 families.[2] They lived around the market place and the nearby streets. During World War 2, the Jews were murdered outside the town.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.