World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Karl-Marx-Stadt (Bezirk)

Article Id: WHEBN0025645935
Reproduction Date:

Title: Karl-Marx-Stadt (Bezirk)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Saxony, Chemnitz (region), Petra Schneider, Administrative divisions of East Germany
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Karl-Marx-Stadt (Bezirk)

Bezirk Karl-Marx-Stadt
District

Location of Bezirk Karl-Marx-Stadt within the German Democratic Republic

Coordinates: 50°45′N 12°45′E / 50.750°N 12.750°E / 50.750; 12.750

Country German Democratic Republic
Subdivisions 21 Kreise and 5 Stadtkreise
Formed 1952
Dissolved 1990
Seat Karl-Marx-Stadt
Area
 • Total 6,009 km2 (2,320 sq mi)
Population (1989)[1]
 • Total 1,859,500
 • Density 310/km2 (800/sq mi)
Vehicle registration T, X

The Bezirk Karl-Marx-Stadt, also known as Bezirk Chemnitz, was a district (Bezirk) of East Germany. The administrative seat and the main town was Karl-Marx-Stadt, renamed Chemnitz after the reunification of Germany.

History

The district (named, with the city, after Karl Marx) was established, with the other 13, on July 25, 1952, substituting the old German states. After October 3, 1990, it was disestablished due to the German reunification, becoming again part of the state of Saxony.

Geography

Position

The Bezirk Karl-Marx-Stadt, correspondent to the area of the actual Direktionsbezirk Chemnitz and the southernmost one of DDR, bordered with the Bezirke of Gera, Leipzig and Dresden. It bordered also with Czechoslovakia and West German Upper Franconia.

Subdivision

The Bezirk was divided into 26 Kreise: 5 urban districts (Stadtkreise) and 21 rural districts (Landkreise):

  • Urban districts : Johanngeorgenstadt; Karl-Marx-Stadt; Plauen; Schneeberg; Zwickau.
  • Rural districts : Annaberg; Aue; Auerbach; Brand-Erbisdorf; Flöha; Freiberg; Glauchau; Hainichen; Hohenstein-Ernstthal; Karl-Marx-Stadt-Land; Klingenthal; Marienberg; Oelsnitz; Plauen-Land; Reichenbach; Rochlitz; Schwarzenberg; Stollberg; Werdau; Zschopau; Zwickau-Land.

References

See also

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.