World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kazimierz Dolny

Article Id: WHEBN0001042953
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kazimierz Dolny  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stanisław Masłowski, Lesser Poland, Chaim Goldberg, Lublin Voivodeship, Hilary Minc
Collection: Cities and Towns in Lublin Voivodeship, Puławy County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Kazimierz Dolny

Kazimierz Dolny

Kazimierz Dolny - market square and panorama
Flag of Kazimierz Dolny
Coat of arms of Kazimierz Dolny
Coat of arms
Kazimierz Dolny is located in Poland
Kazimierz Dolny
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lublin
County Puławy
Gmina Kazimierz Dolny
 • Mayor Grzegorz Janusz Dunia
 • Total 30.44 km2 (11.75 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 3,572
 • Density 120/km2 (300/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 24-120
Car plates LPU

Kazimierz Dolny ( Yiddish: קאזמיר Kuzmir‎) is a small town in Central Poland, on the right (eastern) bank of the Vistula river in Puławy County, Lublin Voivodeship. Historically it belongs to Lesser Poland, and in the past it used to be one of the most important cities of the province.

It is a considerable tourist attraction as one of the most beautifully situated little towns in Poland. It enjoyed its greatest prosperity in the 16th and the first half of the 17th century, due to the trade in grain conducted along the Vistula. It became an economic backwater after that trade declined, and this freeze in economic development enabled the town to preserve its Renaissance urban plan and appearance. Since the 19th century it has become a popular holiday destination, attracting artists and summer residents.

Kazimierz Dolny is an art center in Poland. Many painters retreat to this small town to paint and sell their work. Galleries can be found in almost every street, offering for sale sculptures, stained-glass, folk art, and fine art.

The town is one of Poland's official national Historic Monuments (Pomnik historii), as designated September 16, 1994 and tracked by the National Heritage Board of Poland.


  • Location 1
  • History 2
  • Points of interest 3
  • Jewish life 4
  • External links 5


Kazimierz Dolny is located on the eastern bank of the Vistula, at the edge of historical Puławy – Kazimierz Dolny – Nałęczów. It does not have a rail connection, the nearest station is located in Puławy (Puławy - Miasto).


The history of Kazimierz Dolny dates back to the 11th century, when on one of the local hills there was a Benedictine settlement called Wietrzna Gora. In 1181, Prince Casimir II the Just handed the settlement to Norbertine nuns from Kraków’s district of Zwierzyniec. The nuns changed its name to Kazimierz, in honor of the prince. For the first time, the name Kazimierz appears in chronicles in 1249. Later on, the adjective Dolny (Lower) was added, to distinguish the town from the Jewish town Kazimierz - now a district of Kraków. In the early 14th century, the village became a royal possession, and King Władysław I the Elbow-high founded there a parish church in 1325.

The foundation of the town is attributed to Władysław's son, King Casimir III the Great, who granted the town rights in the first half of the 14th century. Later, King Władysław II Jagiełło modernized Kazimierz Dolny, creating a modern town, with a market square and streets. At that time, the decision was taken not to build any houses on the northern side of the market square, so as not to obstruct the view of the church and the castle.

In 1501, Kazimierz Dolny became the home of a starosta, and the town was passed over to the noble Firlej family, remaining in its hands until 1644. The Firlejs twice rebuilt the town and the castle, after the fires of 1561 and 1585. They cared about privileged status of Kazimierz Dolny, as a merchant town, located along the busy waterway of the Vistula. In 1628, Franciscan monks settled in Kazimierz, building a monastery and expanding the church.

The town's golden age ended in February 1656 (see Deluge), when Swedish troops under King Charles X Gustav burned and ransacked it. The number of inhabitants declined, and King John III Sobieski tried to improve the situation, by allowing in 1677 Armenian, Greek and Jewish merchants to settle there. Meanwhile, the profitable Vistula river trade came to an end, as there was no demand for Polish grains in Western Europe. In the late 18th century, as a result of the Partitions of Poland, Kazimierz Dolny was cut from the port of Gdańsk and turned into a town of minor importance.

Since late 19th century, rich residents of Lublin and Warsaw became interested in the picturesque village. Spas and villas were constructed, and in 1927, already in the Second Polish Republic, Kazimierz Dolny once again became a town. Partly destroyed in World War II, it was rebuilt, and on September 8, 1994, its center was officially recognized as a historical monument.

Points of interest

  • Parish church of St. Bartholomew and John the Baptist (1586-1589), with 1620 organs, and 1615 pulpit,
  • St. Anne church (1671) and Holy Spirit hospital (1635),
  • Church of St. Mary (1589) and monastery (1638–68),
  • Ruins of the castle (14th - 16th century),
  • Defensive tower (13th or 14th century),
  • Several houses by the architect Karol Siciński, including one built by Kazimierz Ołdakowski
  • Tenement houses (early 17th century),
  • Several historic granaries (16th and 17th centuries).
  • Synagogue.

Kazimierz Dolny has been the location of several films, mainly for youth. Among people associated with the town are Jacek Bromski, Chaim Goldberg, and Daniel Olbrychski.

Jewish life

A small Jewish community was present in the city from the time of Casimir III the Great in the 14th century. The king granted the Jews a writ of rights which caused the town to become a focal point for Jewish immigration. When John III Sobieski became King in 1674, he granted the Jews of Poland a respite from taxes. Sobieski also reconfirmed for the Jews all the rights they had been granted by previous kings. During his reign, the housing restrictions were abolished and the Jewish community began to flourish again.

In the 19th century, Yehezkel Taub, a disciple of the "Seer of Lublin", founded the Hasidic dynasty of Kuzmir in the town.

Between the First and Second World Wars, the Jewish population was about 1,400, half the total population of the town. During the Holocaust era, a Judenrat was established in the town, where the Nazi Germans forced the town's Jews to perform forced labor and to pave roads using tombstones from the local Jewish cemetery. After the Holocaust, a memorial wall was erected using the pieces that survived. In 1940, the Nazis established a ghetto, bringing all the Jews from the surrounding Puławy County to live in the ghetto. In 1942, the Jews that survived the starvation, disease and slave labor were taken to Belzec to be "exterminated". At the end of 1942, the town was officially declared "free of Jews".

One of the most famous Jewish residents of the town was the painter and sculptor Chaim Goldberg. Another was the noted journalist S. L. Shneiderman, who wrote about Kazimierz Dolny in his book The River Remembers.

External links

  • Information from Eastern Europe Travel
  • Picture of the Holocaust memorial wall
  • Pictures of the town from the site of Yad Vashem, the Jewish Holocaust memorial organization
  • Home page for noted journalist, S. L. Shneiderman
  • [2] Home page of the painter Chaim Goldberg, who was born in the village and who made its depiction during the period of 1930-1939 his life's mission. He painted from memory after that.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.