World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Musée de la Légion d'honneur

Article Id: WHEBN0018606745
Reproduction Date:

Title: Musée de la Légion d'honneur  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Madagascar commemorative medal, Orders, decorations, and medals of France, Commemorative medal of the 1859 Italian Campaign, Commemorative medal of the Mexico Expedition, Second Madagascar expedition
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Musée de la Légion d'honneur

The museum building at night
Statue outside the museum

The Musée national de la Légion d'Honneur et des Ordres de Chevalerie (English: National museum of the Legion of Honour and of orders of chivalry) is a museum of national orders of merit located in the 7th arrondissement in the Palais de la Légion d'Honneur beside the Musée d'Orsay at 2, rue de la Légion-d'Honneur, Paris, France. It is open daily except Monday; admission is free. The nearest métro and RER stations are Musée d'Orsay, Solférino, and Assemblée Nationale.

The museum is housed within the Hôtel de Salm, built in 1782 by architect Pierre Rousseau for Frederick III, Prince of Salm-Kyrburg, burned in 1871 during the Paris Commune, and subsequently restored by subscription of medallists. Since 1804 this building has been the Palais de la Légion d'Honneur, and the seat of France's highest honors: the Légion d'honneur (1802), the Médaille militaire (1852), and the Ordre national du Mérite (1963).

Today's museum was created in 1925. It displays a history of France's honors, medals, decorations, and knightly orders from Louis XI to the present, including Napoleonic souvenirs and more than 300 portraits. A special section is dedicated to foreign orders. Its library and archives contain more than 3,000 works.

See also

References

  • Musée national de la Légion d'Honneur et des Ordres de Chevalerie
  • Paris.org entry
  • ParisInfo entry
  • France Hotel Guide description
  • Paris, Petit Futé, 2007, page 144. ISBN 2-7469-1701-7.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.