World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka

Article Id: WHEBN0024523313
Reproduction Date:

Title: Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Libraries in Sri Lanka, Colombo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka

The Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka (RASSL) is based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. One of the oldest learned societies in Sri Lanka with a history of over 160 years. Established on 7 February 1845, based on lines similar to the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland to further oriental research as the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. In 1977 it was renamed as the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka.

History

It has played a major role in the establishment of a several national institutions including the Colombo National Museum, Department of Archaeology, Department of National Archives, Department of Meteorology, Department of Statistics, the University of Ceylon, Historical Manuscripts Commission and the Sinhalese Dictionary. It pioneered the studies on the Veddas (the Aborigines of Sri Lanka), an English translation of the Mahavamsa (the Great Chronicle of Sri Lanka), Study of the Etymology of the Sinhalese Language, Research and Translation of the Dutch Archives, Maldivian Studies, Toponymy of Sri Lanka and Translations of Pali Buddhist Commentaries into Sinhala. At its early stages, the Society held a commanding position because its membership included the British governors of Ceylon and high civil, judicial and medical officials of the government.

The Society admitted Ceylonese officers from 1916, with the appointment of the President, Sir Ponnambalam Arunachalam followed by eminent local scholars including Sir Paul Pieris and Sir Baron Jayatilaka.

Present day

Till 1984 the Society did not have a permanent location, until it moved to the Mahaweli Centre along the Ananda Coomaraswamy Mawatha (Ananda Coomaraswamy Street), when it was declared opened by Margaret Thatcher then Prime Minister of UK and J. R. Jayewardene, the then President of Sri Lanka.

The Society’s main academic publication is its Journal, was first published in 1846 as the Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. In 1988 it was renamed as the Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka.

External links

  • Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka official website

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.