World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Royal Colombo Golf Club

Royal Colombo Golf Club
Club information
Coordinates
Location 223, Model Farm Road,
Colombo 08, Sri Lanka.
Established 1896
Website Official Website
=
Course of The Royal Colombo Golf Club
Course of The Royal Colombo Golf Club

The Royal Colombo Golf Club is the oldest golf club in Sri Lanka. Established in 1880, it is located in the capital city of Colombo at the The Ridgeway Links also known as the Anderson Golf Course. It is home to the Sri Lanka Golf Union, the governing body of Golf in Sri Lanka and maintains links with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland.

History

Established March 13, 1880 nine gentlemen met at the Colombo Club and held the first General Meeting of the Colombo Golf Club. The first Chairman and Captain was W Law and the Committee consisted of W Somerville, F A Fairlie and R Webster. The competitive Trophy of the club dates backs to 1887 and in 1888 the Calcutta Golf Club presented a silver Medal to the Club, thus The Calcutta Medal is a permanent Challenge Medal to this day.

Earlier the club was maintained at Galle Face Green till 1896, in June that year the club was informed by the Colonial Secretary that the Governor of Ceylon would give a part of the Model Farm in Borella. The land for the Model Farm was given by Sir Charles Henry de Soysa, however the farm was failed and the land was used for the formation of the golf links and it was open by Governor Joseph West Ridgeway, after whom the Ridgeway Links were named after.

During World War II the club house and the golf links were used by the Royal Navy code breakers of the Far East Combined Bureau and was known as HMS Anderson.

See also

External links

  • Official website


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.