World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Scarrow Beck

Article Id: WHEBN0013878142
Reproduction Date:

Title: Scarrow Beck  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of watermills in the United Kingdom, Felbrigg, Hanworth, Norfolk
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Scarrow Beck

Scarrow Beck
River
Scarrow Beck on Hanworth Common
Country England
State Norfolk
Region East of England
District North Norfolk
Tributaries
 - left Gur Beck Merges at Sustead
Source In the Village of Aylmerton
Mouth Merges with the River Bure
 - coordinates 49|26.2|N|1|14|0.5|E|type:river_region:GB name=

}}

Length 7.7 mi (12 km)
in North Norfolk
watermills
Aldborough
Erpingham

Total Fall
51 meters from source to merger

Scarrow Beck is a minor watercourse which rises in the north of the English county of Norfolk. It is a tributary of the River Bure. It's spring is in the North Norfolk village of Aylmerton west of the main street. It eventually merges, after 7.7 miles (12.4 km) with the River Bure at Ingworth just north of the Blickling Hall estate. There are two watermills on the beck, both of which are no longer in working order.

The Source

The spring of Scarrow Beck is in a small area of marshy ground in fields south of Aylmerton parish church close to Church Lane. The beck flows east, south, east through a man-made ditch across open fields towards the national trust estate of Felbrigg Hall.[1] At the Boundary of the estate it enters a culvert under a lane and turns south, south, east. During the middle part of the 18th Century the beck was dammed to form Felbrigg pond which was part of the landscape plans of the Estate. It is reputed but not confirmed that the forming of the pond may have been the early work of Humphry Repton, who, in 1778, lived close to the estate in Old Hall, Sustead. From the pond the beck flows on out of the estate and towards the village of Metton passing along the northern boundary of the water works in the village. Here it turns to the south crossing under the lane on the western outskirts of the village. Once again the beck has been ditched by man and crosses arable farm land. It is here that a tributary joins the beck from Gresham called Gur Beck. 200 meters from the merger the beck flows through Big Fen Plantation before reappearing on Hanworth Common. The Beck now flows around the western edge of the Common and is greatly supplemented by several small ditches, ponds and areas of marshy springs. After passing under Ringsbank Lane the beck skirts some woodland before supplying several large boomerang shaped ponds in Thurgarton woods. The next village is Aldborough and it is here, south of the village, that Scarrow Beck was the supply for the first of the two watermills on the beck.

Aldborough Watermill

There has been a watermilll at Aldborough at the buildings present location since before the Domesday Book[2] although the present building, now a private dwelling, was built around 150 years ago. The Waterwheel was removed around 1930 and replaced with a diesel engine. In 1950, the Millpond that was fed by Scarrow Beck was bulldozed in and the beck was diverted away from the mill buildings. Today, there is no trace of the millrace or the old watercourse of Scarrow beck.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.