World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. Edward's College


St. Edward's College

St. Edward's College
Motto Courage Through Faith
Established 1853
Type Academy
Religion Roman Catholic
Headteacher Mr J Waszek
Chairman Mr P Quinn
Founder Father James Nugent

North Drive
Stoneycroft, Liverpool
L12 1LF
England Coordinates: 53°25′26″N 2°54′31″W / 53.423763°N 2.908654°W / 53.423763; -2.908654

Local authority Liverpool
DfE URN Ofsted Reports
Students 1199
Gender Coeducational
Ages 11–18
Diocese Liverpool

St. Edward's College is a coeducational Catholic school with academy status in the UK located in the West Derby suburb of Liverpool. The institution was formerly a boys grammar school run by the Congregation of Christian Brothers, known widely as The Irish Christian Brothers.


The school pupils are identifiable by the bright purple blazer that is part of the uniform for pupils in years 7 to 9 (years 10 to 13 wear a black blazer). The school is heavily over-subscribed.

The school is situated on the eastern side of Queen's Drive (Tuebrook, the former Millbank College of Commerce.


In 1853 the Catholic Institute was founded by Father James Nugent, at a time when barely 5% of Catholic children received any education at all.

An early visitor to the CI, based in Hope Street near the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, was Cardinal Wiseman, who formally opened the school.

The Institute progressed through the nineteenth century, but by the beginning of the twentieth century the school was in decline. In 1909 Bishop Whiteside approached the Irish Congregation of Christian Brothers to invite them to take over the running of the school.

The original St Edward's College had been established as a boarding school in 1848 in a large mansion called St Domingo House; named after the Isle of San Domingo, where one George Campbell, a privateer and subsequently Mayor of Liverpool, had captured a rich prize.

The change of name from the Catholic Institute to St. Edward's College was fairly unpopular, especially amongst former pupils who had lost friends during the First World War. To this day, the Association of former pupils is called the CIEA (Catholic Institute Edwardian Association).

Grammar school

It was a boys' direct grant grammar school. In the late 1970s, direct grant grammar schools were discontinued, and many became fully-fledged independent schools, including St Edward's.

Co-educational school

The school was boys only until 1982, when girls were admitted into the 6th form. In 1991 girls were admitted into year 7, and by September 1995 the school was completely co-educational. Many of its places were funded by the assisted places scheme - it was operating as a private day school right into the late 1990s.

Comprehensive school

It became a grant maintained school in September 1997, then a voluntary aided school in 1999. No longer was a test required to gain admission to the school. Its junior section, independent school but still maintains links with the College and continues to occupy the campus next door.


On 1 May 2011, St. Edward's College formally gained academy status.

Sandfield Park and new buildings

The school relocated from St. Domingo Road, Everton to Sandfield Park, West Derby on 19 September 1938, an event which was marked by every pupil walking the 3 miles from Everton to West Derby.

The site at Sandfield Park consisted of two Victorian mansions, Runnymede and St. Clare's, each of which had substantial grounds. Runnymede became a preparatory school, whilst St. Clare's became the home of the Irish Christian Brothers teaching at the school. A new school building, consisting of four wings around a large quadrangle, was erected, along with a gymnasium. Laboratories were built in the 1950s and a swimming pool and running track in the 1960s. A Sixth Form Centre and Sports Hall were added in the 1970s. A Design Centre was built in the 1980s. The John Morgan Sports Complex and Dining Hall and Performing Arts facilities were added in the 1990s. The turn of the century saw the complete refurbishment of one of the original properties, St Clare's, into the new Upper School Centre.

Cathedral choir

St Edward's has been Choir School to Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral since the early 1970s, and there are usually about 18 Cathedral Senior Choristers amongst the pupils of the College. It therefore has the honour of being the only voluntarily aided Roman Catholic Cathedral School in the country. Its affiliated prep school Runnymede St Edward's educates younger choristers.

Masters of the Music/Directors of Music

  • Christopher McElroy January 2012 - Present (Director of Music)
  • Philip Arkwright : September 2011 - December 2011 (Acting Director of Music)
  • Timothy Noon : August 2007–August 2011 (Director of Music)
  • Terence Duffy : March 2005 - July 2007 (Director of Music)
  • Richard Lea & Terence Duffy : November 2004 - March 2005 (Joint Acting Directors of Music)
  • Keith Orrell : January 2004 - October 2004 (Director of Music)
  • Richard Lea: September 2003 - January 2004 (Acting Director of Music)
  • Mervyn Cousins : 1997 - 2003 (Director of Music)
  • Katherine Dienes : 1996 - 1997 (Acting Master of the Music)
  • Philip Duffy : 1966 - 1996 (Master of the Music)
  • Christopher Symons : 1960 - 1966 (Master of the Music)

Philip Duffy and Terence Duffy are brothers. During Philip's tenure as Master Of The Music, Terence was the organist. Richard Lea is the current organist of the cathedral and was asked to act as choir director during September 2003 - January 2004 while a permanent replacement for Mervyn Cousins was found.

Keith Orrell was the most recent appointment as Director of Music from open competition however his tenure was short lived - just 10 months. Following his departure, Terence Duffy was asked to return from retirement to be the Director of Music. In doing so, he has cemented the link between the Cathedral musical tradition and the Duffy family.

Terence Duffy returned to retirement in July 2007 and thus left the choir. Christopher McElroy (previously at Leeds Cathedral) is the new Director of Music.


The school's traditional motto was 'Viriliter Age', or 'Act Manfully/Courageously'. However, since the admitance of girls into the college, this has been changed to 'Courage Through Faith', based on the spirit, rather than the letter of Psalm 27.


The uniform of St. Edward's College consists of standard school uniform (shirt, trousers, skirt, etc.) with purple blazers in yrs. 7-9 and black blazers in yrs. 10-13.

Heads of Faculties

  • Mr J Broxson - Mathematics
  • Mrs O'Brien - Psychology
  • Mr Bailey - Science
  • Mr Traherne - English
  • Mr C Evans - History
  • Mr Gordon - Geography
  • Mrs Una Gordon - French
  • Mr Thomas Manning - Spanish
  • Mrs Mutch - Art & Design
  • Mrs A Gough - Religious Studies
  • Mrs. A.V. Johnson - Physical Education

Rugby tradition

During the Second World War the pupils were evacuated to Llanelli, Wales. The game of rugby was already played before the war but when the pupils returned from Llanelli the tradition of playing rugby began in earnest. In particular, this period established the tradition of St. Edward's playing Union, rather than League, rugby. Since then, the school has produced rugby stars such as England internationals Mike Slemen,Ted Rudd and Kyran Bracken.

The school has a fine track record in both the fifteen and seven man game, with tournament wins at Ampleforth and Rosslyn Park.

It is common for rugby players and students to go to the Catholic institute (the C.I) after a game and has become a strong tradition. The C.I has earned affectionate nicknames over the years such as "The Cizzler" and "Cee-zies" and is the starting venue for the annual rugby night out.

The team had its finest hours during the mid-1960s, when the 1st XV side went unbeaten for 3 years and won many sevens competitions.[1]

The Under 16's team of 2004-5 won the Liverpool St Helens U16 Floodlit Cup and recently embarked on a tour of New Zealand where it became the first team to score against Auckland Grammar School in almost two years.

The Under 18 7's squad of 2011 reached the last sixteen of the National Schools Sevens held at Rossyln Park beating opposition such as Elsemere College[2] and also secured plate wins at Birkenhead and Ampleforth sevens.

Annual Celebrations

The whole college meets twice a year in the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. In October it is to celebrate the feast of Edward the confessor the saint in which the college is named after. A mass is held within the cathedral and attendance is compulsory for all pupils and staff members.

In March, the college meets once again at the cathedral for Founder's Day. This is the annual prize giving day where awards are given for students who have excelled in subjects, along with the distribution of AS and A-Level results. Again attendance is compulsory for pupils and staff and the guest speaker is normally an Old Edwardian which has been successful at their work (e.g., Chairman of an international company).


The school is ranked as one of the best schools in the North West of England. It is consistently ranked as one of the top three schools in Liverpool on both GCSE and A-Level performance. Recently, the class of 2006-7 from the college, was recognized for having placed 3rd in the National GCSE rankings for comprehensives.

In 2009, it got the second best GCSE results for comprehensive schools in Liverpool, and the best for co-educational comprehensive schools - the league table for Liverpool is dominated by faith schools. At A level, results are still good, but fifth in Liverpool.


Former pupils are referred to as Old Edwardians. Noted Old Edwardians include:

Boys' grammar school

See also


External links

  • St. Edward's College
  • EduBase
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.