World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

University of the State of Pennsylvania

 

University of the State of Pennsylvania

The University of the State of Pennsylvania, was a charitable school founded in 1740. The state soon acquired the name "university" because the school had formed two sections: a medical section and a college section ran by a group of founders that would later become the board of trustees. In 1753 and 1755, two institutions for higher learning were put in place, Dr Smith's College, which was located at Fourth and Arch St. and the University of the State of Pennsylvania, which taught Philosophical Society at Fifth St. and Chestnut St.Throughout 1749 Academy and Charity School of Philadelphia to the College of Philadelphia.

In 1755 there were 122 members on the board of trustees. Later it was a colonial American institution founded in 1779 by the revolutionary Pennsylvania State legislature.The state made this move in response to their concerns over the then-provost of the College of Philadelphia, Rev. William Smith, and his loyalist tendencies who later created a board of trustees. In 1791, the institution was merged with the College of Philadelphia and the University of the State of Pennsylvania to form the University of Pennsylvania. The University of Pennsylvania included languages such as French, Italian, English, and Spanish because the people who spoke these languages were common. So it was more efficient to have these languages taught at the school. Benjamin Franklin, who was President of the Board half a century later, wrote a pamphlet particularly on English and its literature, not excluding Latin, Spanish, and French for better understanding for the foreigners who went to the university.

The Board of Trustees in 1749-1800 consisted of (1704-1776).Rev. Richard Peters' (1734-1806), 'Robert Morris' (1704-1779), 'Thomas White' (1761-1818),'Caspar Wistar''

References

  • Penn in the 18th Century - at Penn's archives
  • [1] at "The University of Pennsylvania" by Francis N. Thorpe
  • [2]


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.