World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zapyškis

Article Id: WHEBN0023185389
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zapyškis  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: German war crimes, Suwałki Governorate, Veiveriai
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zapyškis

Zapyškis
Town

The old church of Zapyškis

Coat of arms
Zapyškis
Zapyškis
Location in Lithuania

Coordinates: 54°55′30″N 23°39′0″E / 54.92500°N 23.65000°E / 54.92500; 23.65000Coordinates: 54°55′30″N 23°39′0″E / 54.92500°N 23.65000°E / 54.92500; 23.65000

Country  Lithuania
Ethnographic region Aukštaitija
County Municipality Kaunas district municipality
Eldership Zapyškis eldership
Population (2001)
 • Total 254
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Zapyškis (Polish: Sapieżyszki) is a small town in Kaunas County in central Lithuania on the right bank of the Neman River. As of 2001 it had a population of 254. The town is famous for its old early Gothic church (built between 1530 and 1578), which is also depicted in town's coat of arms. A new church was built in 1942. According to tradition, the village was originally one of larger pagan temples of the Baltic tribes.

The town, originally named Sapieżyszki in Polish was named after the Sapieha family, erstwhile mighty boyars of Smolensk and later a princely family active in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The grounds of the former pagan temple were donated to Paweł Sapieha by king of Poland Sigismund I the Old. The earlier founded a church on the ruins of the old temple and founded a new settlement there, named after himself. In the settlement, the Sapiehas also built a manor, which however did not survive to modern times.

In early 17th century Andrzej Sapieha, the voivode of Polotsk, Nowogródek and Smolensk Voivodeship, sold the village to Grzegorz Massalski, the cup-bearer of Grodno. His son, Aleksander left it to his daughter, who joined the Bernardine monastery near Kaunas. Until the partitions of Poland the monastery remained the owner of the village of Sapieżyszki. However, in 1795 the Prussian authorities secularised the convent and confiscated all of its properties. In 1812, during Napoleonic Wars, the church was partially demolished by French forces who used it as a stable. In mid-19th century the town had 564 inhabitants, most of them Jewish.

References

  • This article was initially translated from the Lithuanian World Heritage Encyclopedia.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.