World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Świna

Article Id: WHEBN0000469275
Reproduction Date:

Title: Świna  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Szczecin Lagoon, Oder, Wolin, Piast Canal, Dziwna
Collection: Rivers of Poland, Straits of the Baltic Sea
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Świna

Świna
Świna and the Baltic Sea
Origin Szczecin Lagoon
Mouth Baltic Sea
Basin countries Poland, Germany
Length 16 km

The Świna (German: Swine; Pomeranian: Swina) is a river in Poland flowing from the Oder Lagoon to the Baltic Sea, between the islands of Uznam and Wolin. It is a part of the Oder River estuary, and carries about 75% of that river's waterflow (of the remainder, Peenestrom carries 15% and Dziwna 10%). It has a length of about 16 km. Świnoujście is a major town on the river.

Landsat satellite photo showing Świna and the Piast canal to the west of it

The German Empire dammed and deepened the river from 1874-1880 to create the Kaiserfahrt (Piast canal). [1] It connects the northern part of the Świna directly with the Szczecin Lagoon and the Pomeranian harbor of Szczecin (Stettin). The river thus gained importance as a direct waterway to the industrial city. The territory along the river's path was transferred from Germany to Poland following World War II.

Regressive Delta

The regressive delta was formed by the floods of Świna River in the area of the Wolin National Park in 1996. This water-muddy natural complex forms an archipelago of 44 islands and canals with changing directions of water flow. The Delta Świna River was formed by the Scandinavian glacier that withdrew from this territory 12 thousand years ago. During the western and northern storms sea water flowed into the Bay of Szczecin, overflowing the islands. The borders of islands are constantly shaped during the process of accumulation.

References

  1. ^ http://swinemuende.name/Kaseburg%20%28Karsibor,%20district%20of%20Swinemuende%29.htm Kaseburg (Karsibor district of Swinemuende). Accessed 28-04-2012.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.