World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bamberg Cathedral

Article Id: WHEBN0005018789
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bamberg Cathedral  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bamberg, Bamberg Horseman, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bamberg, Cunigunde of Luxembourg, Roman Catholic cathedrals in Germany
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bamberg Cathedral

Plan of the cathedral.
Bamberg Cathedral.

The Bamberg Cathedral (Bamberg, Germany, completed in the 13th century. The cathedral is under the administration of the Roman Catholic Church and is the seat of the Archbishop of Bamberg.

The cathedral is a late Romanesque building with four imposing towers. It was founded in 1002 by the emperor Henry II, finished in 1012 and consecrated on May 6, 1012. It was later partially destroyed by fire in 1081. The new cathedral, built by St. Otto of Bamberg, was consecrated in 1111, and in the 13th century received its present late-Romanesque form.

The cathedral is about 94 m long, 28 m broad, 26 m high, and the four towers are each about 81 m high. Of its many works of art may be mentioned the magnificent marble tomb of the founder and his wife, the empress Cunigunde, considered the masterpiece of the sculptor Tilman Riemenschneider, and carved between 1499 and 1513.

Another treasure of the cathedral is an equestrian statue known as the Bamberg Horseman (). This statue, possibly depicting the Hungarian king Stephen I, most likely dates to the period from 1225 to 1237.

Construction

In 1004, the construction of the church was commissioned by King Henry II. of Germany. In the same year he laid the foundation stone. In 1007 Bamberg was elevated to a bishopric, only now turning the yet to be finished church into a cathedral. That circumstance may explain why - compared other "imperial" cathedrals, notably the "three by the Rhine" (Mainz, Worms, Speyer)- this one had quite modest dimensions and inititally "only" two towers. The building was erected on a hill upon the foundations of the former Babenburg that gives the town its name. The King had inherited the ruin from his late father. Construction was overseen by his confidant Eberhard von Abenberg. This man also became the first bishop. Bamberg cathedral was consecrated in 1012. In 1014, together wis his wife Cunigunde of Luxembourg, Henry was finally crowned emperor in Rome.

During the next two Holy Roman Empire. The west chancel is dedicated to St. Peter symbolizing the Pope.

Bamberg Cathedral: the nave

Due to its long construction process, several styles were used in different parts of the cathedral, particularly the Romanesque and Gothic ones. Between these two styles is the Transitional style, and this is the style which is characteristic of the nave.

Bells

No.
 
Name
 
Year
 
Caster, Gussort
 
Diameter
(mm)
Mass
(kg)
Strike tone
(HT-1/16)
Tower
 
1 Apostel 1886 Friedrich Hamm, Frankenthal 1655 ≈2430 h0 +5 South-East, lower
2 Kunigunde ca. 1185 unknown 1589/1590/1596 ≈3450 c1 +13 North-East, upper
3 Heinrich 13.8.1311 unknown 1799 ≈5200 cis1 +9 North-East, lower
4 Maria 1735 Johann Ignatius Höhn, Bamberg 1335 ≈1500 dis1 +5 South-East, upper
5 Georg 1972 Rudolf Perner, Passau 1090 780 fis1 +10+ South-East, upper
6 Peter 1972 Rudolf Perner, Passau 985 556 gis1 +7 South-East, upper
7 Otto 1972 Rudolf Perner, Passau 822 310 h1 +11− South-East, upper
8 Michael 1972 Rudolf Perner, Passau 653 170 dis2 +9,5 South-East, upper
9 Armeseelen ca. 1200 unknown 837/844 570 fis2 −1 South-East, upper
10 Messe ca. 1300 unknown 591 ≈200 gis2 –7 South-East, upper
Name
 
Year of Cast
 
Caster
 
Diameter
(mm)
Mass
(kg)
Strike tone
(HT-1/16)
Zapfendorfer oder Laudes ca. 1200 unknown (vgl. Armeseelenglocke) 745 ≈400 gis2 −5
These two towers show the difference between the two styles of architecture very clearly: the Romanesque on the left and the Gothic on the right.

Sculptures and carvings

Cunigunde and Heinrich II carved in the entrance porch

[[

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.