World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway

Article Id: WHEBN0006172743
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Russell Darbyshire, Provan Hall, Geography of Glasgow, Glasgow effect, Sauchiehall Street
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway

Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway
Bishopric
anglican
Incumbent:
Gregor Duthie Duncan
Province Scotland
Diocese Glasgow and Galloway
Cathedral St Mary's Glasgow
First incumbent Michael Russell
Formation 1837

The Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway is the ordinary of the Scottish Episcopal Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway.


Brief history

When the dioceses of Glasgow and Galloway were combined in 1837, Michael Russell, the then incumbent of Leith became the first bishop of the combined see. Initially there were only three or four congregations in the south west of Scotland.[1]

Until the establishment of St Mary's Church in Great Western Road as the cathedral of the diocese, the bishops were also incumbents of individual congregations - Michael Russell at Leith; Walter Trower at St Mary's Church in Glasgow; and William Wilson at Ayr.

The episcopate of William Harrison was specially notable for the exceptional expansion of the church in the south west of Scotland.

Bishop Reid was translated to the Diocese of Saint Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane. His successor, Bishop Darbyshire, was also translated becoming the Archbishop of Cape Town in the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern Africa).

Bishop Rawcliffe was already a bishop when he came to the diocese having previously been consecrated at the first Bishop of the New Hebrides in the Church of the Province of Melanesia between 1974 and 1980.

Bishops of the united diocese

First Bishop's Plaque in the Chancel of St Mary's Cathedral (29 July 2006) Stewart D. Macfarlane

The bishops of the combined See of Glasgow and Galloway [2][3] are listed on two plaques on the south wall of the chancel in St Mary's Cathedral. As the first plaque was filled recording the episcopate of Bishop Rawcliffe, a second plaque was installed following the enthronement of Bishop Taylor.

A gallery of portraits of the past bishops is displayed in the sacristy corridor in the cathedral.

References

  1. ^ A Short History of the Episcopal Church in Scotland (2nd Edition) 1974 - F. Goldie pp 115-117
  2. ^ A Short History of the Episcopal Church in Scotland (2nd Edition) 1974 - F. Goldie pp 115, 171
  3. ^ Plaques in the Chancel of St Mary's Cathedral
  4. ^
  5. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.