World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishop of Swansea and Brecon

Article Id: WHEBN0000875702
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishop of Swansea and Brecon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Archbishop of Wales, Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, Archdeacon of Gower, Peace Mala, Bishop of Monmouth
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishop of Swansea and Brecon

Arms of the Diocese of Swansea & Brecon

The Bishop of Swansea and Brecon is the Ordinary of the Church in Wales Diocese of Swansea and Brecon.

The diocese covers the City and County of Swansea and the ancient counties of Brecknockshire and Radnorshire. The see is in the town of Brecon where the seat is located at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Evangelist which was a parish church since the Reformation, becoming elevated to cathedral status in 1923.

The Bishops residence is Ely Tower, Brecon.

The office was created in 1923 at the founding of the diocese. On 29 January 2008, The Very Reverend John Davies, Dean of Brecon Cathedral was elected Bishop. The election follows the retirement of the Rt Rev Anthony Pierce on January 16, who served as bishop of the diocese from 1999. The Dean will be the ninth Bishop of Swansea and Brecon, an area stretching south to the coast of Gower and north into much of mid-Wales.

List of the Bishops of the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon

Bishops of Swansea and Brecon
From Until Incumbent Notes
1923 1934 Edward Bevan Previously Assistant Bishop of Swansea (Diocese of St Davids)
1934 1939 John Morgan
1939 1953 Edward Williamson
1953 1958 Glyn Simon
1958 1976 John Thomas
1976 1988 Benjamin Vaughan
1988 1999 Dewi Bridges
1999 2008 Anthony Pierce
2008 present John Davies
Source(s): [1]

Notes

  1. ^ "Historical successions: Swansea and Brecon". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 22 July 2012. 

Sources

  • Whitaker's Almanack to 2004, Joseph Whitaker and Sons Ltd/A&C Black, London
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.