World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishopric of Culm

Article Id: WHEBN0014419669
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishopric of Culm  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sambia Peninsula, Crusader states, Old Prussians, Lubawa, William of Modena, Chełmża
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishopric of Culm

The Bishopric of Culm (German: Bistum Culm; Polish: Diecezja chełmińska) was a Roman Catholic diocese in Chełmno Land (Culm land), founded in medieval Prussia in 1243 and disbanded in 1992.

It was founded in 1243 by the papal legate William of Modena in the Monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, along with the three other bishoprics, Bishopric of Warmia, Samland (in Sambia) and Pomesania. Initially Culm was a suffragan to the Archdiocese of Riga and had its seat in Chełmża (Culmsee). From 1257 to 1773 its seat was the castle in Lubawa. Since 1466 Culm diocese was part of Polish Royal Prussia. After 1525 Culm incorporated southern parts of the Pomeasanian diocesan area (with Łasin and Nowe Miasto), which happened to be in the Chełmno Voivodeship. Whereas western Pomesanian diocesan area in the Malbork Voivodeship was administered by Culm, but officially maintaining its naming.

After Riga's dissolution in 1566 the bishops of Culm attended the councils of the Ecclesiastical Province of Gniezno. This practice was recognised by the Holy See by the Bull De salute animarum in 1821, when Culm became de jure a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. Culm diocese was enlarged on that occasion (Górzno, Krajna and Soldau). Since 1772 Culm diocese was part of the Kingdom of Prussia and became a part of Germany in 1871. In 1824 the see had moved to Pelplin. In 1920 Culm became part of the Second Polish Republic. On 1 May 1923 the Holy See disentangled the deaneries in Bütow (Bytow) and Lauenburg in Pomerania (Lębork) from Culm and tranferred them to the new Apostolic Administration of Tütz.[1] As part of the reorganisation of the Catholic Church in the Third Polish Republic Culm was disbanded in 1992 by Pope John Paul II and replaced by the Diocese of Pelplin.

List of bishops

  • 1245–1263: Heidenreich von Kulm (Ordo fratrum Praedicatorum, Dominican Order)
  • 1264–1274: Friedrich von Hausen (Ordo Teutonicus, Teutonic Order)
  • 1275–1291: Werner von Kulm OT
  • 1291/92–1301: Heinrich Schenk OT
  • 1303–1311: Hermann von Kulm OT
  • 1311–1316/19: Eberhard von Kulm OT
  • 1319–1323: Nikolaus Afri OP
  • 1323–1349: Otto von Kulm OT
  • 1349–1359: Jakob von Kulm OT
  • 1359–1363: Johann Schadland OP
  • 1363–1381/85: Wikbold Dobilstein OT
  • 1385–1390: Reinhard von Sayn
  • 1390: Martin von Lynow OT
  • 1390–1398: Nikolaus Schippenbeil OT
  • 1398–1402: Jan Kropidło
  • 1402–1416: Arnold Stapel OT
  • 1416–1457: Johann Marienau
  • 1457–1479: Wincenty Kiełbasa
  • 1480–1495: Stephan von Niborka
  • 1496–1507: Nikolaus Krapitz
  • 1508–1530: Jan Konopacki
  • 1530–1538: Johannes Dantiscus
  • 1538–1549: Tiedemann Giese
  • 1549–1551: Stanislaus Hosius
  • 1551–1562: Jan Lubodziecki
  • 1562–1571: Stanisław Żelisławski SOC
  • 1574–1595: Piotr Kostka
  • 1595–1600: Piotr Tylicki
  • 1600–1610: Wawrzyniec Gembicki
  • 1611–1613: Maciej Konopacki
  • 1614–1624: Jan Kucborski
  • 1624–1635: Jakob Zadzik
  • 1635–1639: Jan Lipski
  • 1639–1646: Kasper Działyński
  • 1646–1652: Andrzej Leszczyński
  • 1653–1655: Jan Gembicki
  • 1658–1661: Adam Koss
  • 1662–1674: Andrzej Olszewski
  • 1676–1681: Jan Małachowski
  • 1681–1693: Kasimir Johann z Bnina Opaliński
  • 1693–1694: Kasimir Szczuka
  • 1699–1712: Theodor Andrzej Potocki
  • 1719–1721: Johann Kasimir Alten-Bokum
  • 1723–1730: Felix Ignaz Kretkowski
  • 1731–1733: Tomasz Franciszek Czapski SOC
  • 1736–1739: Adam Stanislaus Grabowski
  • 1739–1746: Andrzej Stanisław Załuski
  • 1747–1758: Wojciech Stanisław Leski SOC
  • 1759–1785: Andrzej Ignacy z Broniewic Baier
  • 1785–1795: Karl von Hohenzollern-Hechingen
  • 1795–1814: Franciszek Ksawery z Wrbna Rydzyński
  • 1824–1832: Ignaz Vinzenz Stanislaus Matthy
  • 1834–1856: Anastazy Sedlag
  • 1857–1886: Johannes von der Marwitz
  • 1886–1898: Leon Redner
  • 1899–1926: Augustin Rosentreter
  • 1926–1944: Stanisław Wojciech Okoniewski
  • 1946–1972: Kazimierz Józef Kowalski
  • 1973–1980: Bernard Czapliński
  • 1981–1992: Marian Przykucki
  • 1992- Bishop of Pelplin: Jan Bernard Szlaga

External links

  • Geschichte des Bistums Kulm (German)
  • http://www.pelplin.diecezja.org/?a=39 (Polish)
  • Giga-Catholic Information
  • Catholic Hierarchy

Notes

de:Bistum Kulm
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.