World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishops of Warmia

Article Id: WHEBN0008844459
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishops of Warmia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pope Pius II, Warmia, Braniewo, List of Polish people, John Albert Vasa, Marcin Kromer, Lucas Watzenrode, Nicolaus von Tüngen, Princely Houses of Poland
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishops of Warmia

This is a list of Bishops and Prince-Bishops of the Diocese of Warmia (Polish: Diecezja warmińska, Latin: Dioecesis Varmiensis, German: Bistum Ermland), which was elevated to the Archdiocese of Warmia in 1992.

The Bishopric was founded in 1243 as the Bishopric of Ermland, one of four bishoprics of Teutonic Prussia. In 1356 it became an Imperial Prince-Bishopric under Emperor Charles IV, and from 1512 until 1930 it was an exempt diocese. From 1947 to 1972 the episcopal see was left vacant following the expulsion of the German population and the Bishop of Ermland from Prussia. The cathedral capitular canons elected capitular vicars for the time sede vacante, recognised by the Holy See.

In 1972 the Holy See installed a new Polish diocese, which in 1992 was elevated to an archdiocese.


Bishops of Ermland / Warmia

  • 1249–1250 Heinrich von Strateich, elected, never actually took office
  • 1250–1274 Anselm of Meissen, first actual bishop to be active in Ermland, from 1253 suffragan of the Archdiocese of Riga
  • 1278–1300 Heinrich Fleming (Henryk Fleming)
  • 1301–1326 Eberhard von Neiße (Nysa, Poland) (Neiße)
  • 1327–1328 Jordan, Bishop of Warmia
  • 1329–1334 Heinrich Wogenap (Wogenap)
  • 1334–1337 sede vacante
  • 1337–1349 Hermann von Prag (Herman z Pragi) (Prague)
  • 1350–1355 Johannes of Meissen

Prince-Bishops of Ermland / Warmia

Bishops

Archbishops

See also

References

External links

  • (Polish) Website of the Archdiocese
  • Catholic site with information on Archdiocese of Warmia
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.