World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Café Gerbeaud

Article Id: WHEBN0020973362
Reproduction Date:

Title: Café Gerbeaud  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of restaurants in Hungary, Budapest, Coffeehouses, Corinthia Hotel Budapest, Danube Promenade
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Café Gerbeaud

Café Gerbeaud (outside).

Café Gerbeaud, situated at Vörösmarty tér 7 in Budapest, the capital of Hungary, is one of the greatest and most traditional coffeehouses in Europe. Today still, it shines in Gründerzeit style with its stucco, the grand chandeliers, the panelling made of exotic woods and its furniture. In 2009 Café Gerbeaud opened its second confectionery in Tokyo, Japan.[1]


The company was started in 1858 by Henrik Kugler, the third child of a confectionery dynasty. He acquired his knowledge and experience mostly during his journeymanship in eleven European capitals including Paris. After that he opened a confectionery at József Nádor place which was soon accounted for as one of the best in Pest. Among the specialities were Chinese and Russian tea specialities as well as his ice creations which were soon named “the best ice in Pest”.

In order to be closer to the city center, Kugler in 1870 moved the store to Vörösmarty tér. The customers of that time most favoured his coffees, liqueurs and candy. But Kugler Pies and Mignons were also well known, because for the first time it was possible to take them home, wrapped on a paper tray. Known guests were, among others, Ferenc Deák and Franz Liszt.

In 1882 while travelling Paris, Kugler first met Emil Gerbeaud and immediately recognized his talent and spirit of enterprise. 1884 Kugler finally invited him to Budapest to declare him to his associate. Later, Gerbeaud took over Kuglers store piece by piece and retained the original name.

Emil Gerbeaud, who was descended from a confectionary family, was born in Geneva and gained his experience in Germany, France and England. He performed a number of innovations, e.g. by expanding the selection with numerous products like butter creams, Parisian crèmes, hundreds of kinds of short cakes, candy and kirsch candy. To offer this broad palette to his clientele, he hired a number of employees for sales and service. By the end of 1899, he had about 150 employees, many of whom only came to Budapest to learn and work with Gerbeaud. Due to his sense of business, by and by he equipped the bakery with modern machinery. Thus, the name Gerbeaud became a Synonym for quality and bakery art. Since his clientele loved the paper boxes for takeaway pies that were already introduced by Henrik Kugler, Gerbeaud continued with this tradition and started to design these himself.

Gerbeaud was also internationally acclaimed. He was invited a jury member both to the Brussels world fair (1898) and the Paris world fair (1900), whereat in Paris he was awarded the Legion of Honour. He was further awarded numerous national and international prizes.

Eventually, Henrik Kugler died, whereupon Gerbeaud founded a public company named ‘Kuglers Nachfolger Gerbeaud AG’ (Kuglers Successor Gerbeaud PLC) to carry on the business. Since Gerbeaud set value on modern working conditions, he used automobiles alongside horse carriages from 1909 on.

For the interior design of his confectionery, Gerbeaud in 1910 took advice from Henrik Darilek who mainly used marble, exotic woods and bronze. The ceiling's stucco was created in the Rokoko style of Louis XIV of France. The chandeliers were inspired by Maria Theresa of Austria. The guests were offered as French tables as well as secessionist ones which Gerbeaud had delivered from the world fair in Paris. But World War I was felt but the company survived even that.

Gerbeaud died the 8th of November, 1919, and willed the store to his wife Ester who headed it until 1940. The shop retained the name “Gerbeaud” ever since, excepting the period between 1950 and March, 1984, when it was renamed “Vörösmarty”. In 1995, German businessman Erwin Franz Müller bought the confectionery and had it renovated extensively. The traces of the last 50 years have thus disappeared, and today the Café shines in the style as built by Emil Gerbeaud.

See also


  1. ^

External links

  • Homepage
  • the Hungarian Gerbeaud family's homepage

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.