World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chingford Mount

Article Id: WHEBN0008565001
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chingford Mount  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chingford, Kray twins, Highams Park railway station, Highams Park, Charles Reed (British politician), List of night buses in London
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chingford Mount

Chingford Mount is an area in South TQ373928), though it is also used for the hill leading north from the crossroads to Chingford Old Church. (The original name for this hill was Merry Hill or Church Hill.)

Many of the buildings were erected in the 1930s to Art Deco designs. The impressive Chingford Odeon cinema, an original Oscar Deutsch building designed by Andrew Mather and opened in September 1935, was demolished in 1972 to make way for a supermarket.

North of the shopping area and opposite the Old Church is Chingford Mount Cemetery. Opened in May 1884, 41½ acres in size, it was laid out on the site of the house and grounds of Caroline Mount. Among those buried in the cemetery are the Kray twins and other members of their family.

To the south of the shopping area is Saint Edmund's Parish Church. Built in 1939, it was designed by the architect N.F. Cachemaille-Day and is a grade 2 listed building.

Until the 1850s, this part of Chingford was solely farmland, with Cherrydown Farm to the north of the crossroads and Normanshire Farm to the south of it. In the second half of the nineteenth century, the Prince Albert Inn was built at the crossroads. Though cottages and houses were later built along Old Church Hill, shops only began to appear once the tramway was extended to the Albert Corner in 1904. The name was firmly established by 1923, when the section of Chingford Road from the Chingford-Walthamstow boundary to the crossroads was renamed Chingford Mount Road.


External links

  • St Edmund's Parish Church, Chingford
  • Chingford Mount: Employment & Retail Statistics (2002)

Coordinates: 51°37′02″N 0°01′06″W / 51.61729°N 0.01825°W / 51.61729; -0.01825


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.