World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Coulston

Article Id: WHEBN0011028048
Reproduction Date:

Title: Coulston  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Edington, Wiltshire, List of places in Wiltshire, List of civil parishes in Wiltshire, Mary Delany, High Sheriff of Wiltshire, Richard Penruddocke Long, Baynton House
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Coulston

Coordinates: 51°17′06″N 2°04′05″W / 51.285°N 02.068°W / 51.285; -02.068

Coulston

Village hall
Wiltshire
Population 155 (as of 1951)
OS grid reference ST952542
Unitary authority Wiltshire
Ceremonial county Wiltshire
Region South West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town WESTBURY
Postcode district BA13
Dialling code 01380
Police Wiltshire
Fire Wiltshire
Ambulance Great Western
EU Parliament South West England
List of places
UK
England
Wiltshire

Coulston (until 1934 called East Coulston) is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, five miles North East of the town of Westbury, just north of the B3098 road.

The village has an elected parish council called Coulston Parish Council.

Coulston has a mix of old and new houses, about sixty-five in all. The number of buildings listed as of architectural or historic importance is thirteen (all listed Grade II). There is no shop or surviving public house.

Notable buildings

Main article: Baynton House

Baynton House is an exquisite Georgian manor house (with much older origins) set in extensive gardens, and is next to the Coulston Deer Park, which still has a herd of deer and is owned together with Baynton House.

Coulston House, a smaller manor house near the main settlement of the village, was previously a farmhouse. A substantial farm courtyard close to Coulston House was converted into several houses in the late 20th century. One of these houses is called The Granary and was once a grain barn.

Church

The parish church has 12th century Norman origins. In the Middle Ages, its dedication was to Saint Andrew, but since the early 19th century it has been to Saint Thomas of Canterbury. Communion services are held every other Sunday. The patrons are the Bishop of Salisbury and the Vicar of Westbury jointly. The current Rector is the Reverend Dr Graham Southgate, who lives at Bratton.

History

The Wiltshire and Swindon Archives, in Chippenham, holds the parish registers of East Coulston for the following periods -

  • Christenings: from 1714 to 1974
  • Marriages: from 1714 to 1994
  • Burials from 1714 to 1992

The parish was originally called "East Coulston", and until 1934 the theoretical hamlet of West Coulston (immediately adjacent to East Coulston and including the village school) formed part of the parish of Edington. In that year East and West Coulston were united into a parish called simply Coulston.[1]

School

There is no village school, and Coulston falls within the designated area for the Great Cheverell Church of England Aided Primary School.

Population

The population was 103 in 1831, 155 in 1951.

Pronunciation

The name of the village has been pronounced Cohlst'n at least since the late 19th century, and this is used by all long term residents. The pronunciation Coolst'n is sometimes used by outsiders but locally is deemed to be incorrect.

Notable people

Images

See also

References

External links

  • Wiltshire Community History - Coulston
  • Coulston Parish Church
  • GENUKI - East Coulston
  • Archives
  • East Coulston at nationalarchives.gov.uk
  • British History Online University of London
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.