World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Crosthwaite Parish Church

Article Id: WHEBN0027607411
Reproduction Date:

Title: Crosthwaite Parish Church  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Robert Southey, Saint Mungo, Sara Coleridge
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Crosthwaite Parish Church

This article is about the church near Keswick. For the church in the village of the same name near Kendal, see Crosthwaite.
Denomination Church of England
Website http://www.crosthwaitechurchkeswick.co.uk/


Crosthwaite Parish Church is dedicated to St Kentigern and is the Anglican parish church of the parish of Crosthwaite near Keswick, in Cumbria, UK.

History

The church was built on an ancient site in its present form probably in 1553 at the beginning of the reign of Mary I (it incorporates 14th-century arches). Gilbert Scott restored the church in 1844; this was part of the memorial to the poet Robert Southey who is buried in the churchyard. The church has a large organ.[1] Other features of interest include:

  • nine consecration crosses were discovered in 1915 outside the church and nine inside (this is the only church with such a set).
  • the finely carved 14th century font
  • a number of 15th century effigies.
  • a reredos by the Keswick School of Industrial Art
  • the altar of the church is draped with a banner bearing the Greek motto "εν τούτῳ νίκα", meaning "in this sign you will conquer", a motto adopted by Constantine the Great and by the Knights Templar.


Vicars

Probably the best-known vicar was Hardwicke Rawnsley, a co-founder of the National Trust, who was appointed Vicar of Crosthwaite, and Rural Dean, in 1883.[2] After 34 years Rawnsley retired to Grasmere where he died. He is buried in the churchyard of his former parish.

Sources

  • Betjeman, John (1968) Collins Pocket Guide to English Parish Churches: the North. London: Collins; p. 109

Coordinates: 54°36′30″N 3°09′04″W / 54.6083°N 3.1512°W / 54.6083; -3.1512

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.