World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Delaware Legislative Hall

Article Id: WHEBN0003631436
Reproduction Date:

Title: Delaware Legislative Hall  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Museums in Dover, Delaware, History museums in Delaware, John A. Wilson Building, List of streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr., Delaware Route 8
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Delaware Legislative Hall

The Delaware General Assembly meets in the Legislative Hall in Dover.

The Delaware Legislative Hall is the state capitol building of Delaware located in the state capital of Dover on Legislative Avenue. It houses the chambers and offices of the Delaware General Assembly. It was designed in the Colonial Revival architecture style.

History and structure

Old State House

The original capitol of Delaware was the State House (now known as the Old State House), located on The Green in Dover. It was commissioned originally by Kent County as the Kent County Court House, and was constructed from 1787 to 1791, when it became the State House. Kent County and the state government shared the building until 1873, when the Kent County government relocated. The State House was used until the completion of Legislative Hall.

Today, the Old State House has been restored to its 18th-century appearance and is now a museum that includes the site of a former courtroom and the former chambers of the state legislature. The House chamber contains portraits by Thomas Sully of Commodore Jacob Jones and Commodore Thomas Macdonough, Delaware heroes who served in the War of 1812.

Legislative Hall

Legislative Hall is opposite the Old State House on the mall. The building was designed in the Colonial Revival style by E. William Martin, the architect, under the direction of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission, created by Governor C. Douglass Buck in 1931 during the Great Depression. The structure was completed and dedicated in 1933. From 1965 to 1970, north and south wings were added on the sides of the building, giving each member of the Assembly an office in addition to a desk in one of the legislative chambers. The architect George Fletcher Bennet of Dover designed the expansion.

Two more wings, providing more office space for legislators and staff as well as hearing and caucus rooms, were added to the east side of the building in 1994. This expansion was designed by the Wilmington-based firm The Architects Studio. In addition, the entire interior of Legislative Hall was renovated in a three-phase project during the summers of 1995, 1996 and 1997, including refurbishment of both the House and Senate chambers as well as the lobby, cafeteria, and many offices. This project was designed by the Wilmington firm Moeckel Carbonell Associates.

In addition to the chambers of the Delaware House of Representatives and Senate, the Legislative Hall also includes space used by the General Assembly's two nonpartisan staff

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.