World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Diocese of St David's

Article Id: WHEBN0004279521
Reproduction Date:

Title: Diocese of St David's  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Church in Wales, Thomas Fastolf, Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, Archbishop of Wales, Diocese of Monmouth
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Diocese of St David's

Diocese of St David's
Location
Ecclesiastical province Wales
Archdeaconries St David's, Cardigan, Carmarthen
Information
Cathedral St David's Cathedral
Current leadership
Bishop Bishop of St David's
Website
churchinwales.org.uk/david

The Diocese of St David '​s covers the historic extent of episcopal see is the Cathedral Church of St David in the City of St David's, Pembrokeshire. The present cathedral, which was begun in 1181, stands on the site of a monastery founded in the 6th century by Saint David.

The diocese is divided into the three archdeaconries of St David's, Carmarthen and Cardigan. The bishop's residence is Llys Esgob in Abergwili, Carmarthenshire.

Coat of arms of St David's

History

The history of the diocese of St David's is traditionally traced to that saint in the latter half of the 6th century. Records of the history of the diocese before Norman times are very fragmentary, however, consisting of a few chance references in old chronicles, such as 'Annales Cambriae' and 'Brut y Tywysogion' (Rolls Series).

Originally corresponding with the boundaries of Herefordshire.

The diocese assumed its current extent in 1923, when the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon was created from the eastern part of the diocese.[1]

The office of Bishop of St David's has existed since the founding of the cathedral. The current bishop, the 128th, is the Right Reverend J Wyn Evans, who was elected on 1 September, consecrated on 29 November at Llandaff Cathedral, and enthroned in St Davids Cathedral on 6 December 2008.

References

  1. ^ History of the Diocese of St David's

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.