World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dymock

Article Id: WHEBN0000145960
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dymock  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Andy Rouse, GL postcode area, Dymock poets, Stinking Bishop pear, Dimock
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dymock

Dymock

Dymock church and War Memorial
Dymock is located in Gloucestershire
Dymock
Dymock
 Dymock shown within Gloucestershire
OS grid reference
District Forest of Dean
Shire county Gloucestershire
Region South West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town Dymock
Postcode district GL18
Police Gloucestershire
Fire Gloucestershire
Ambulance South Western
EU Parliament South West England
UK Parliament Forest of Dean
List of places
UK
England
Gloucestershire

Dymock is a small village in the Forest of Dean district of Gloucestershire, England, about four miles south of Ledbury, with a population of approx. 300 people increasing dramatically to 1,214 at the United Kingdom Census 2011[1]

It was the eponymous home of the Dymock poets from the period 1911-1914. The homes of Wilfrid Wilson Gibson and the American-born Robert Frost can still be seen there. Dymock is renowned for its wild daffodils in the spring, and these were probably the inspiration for the line "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood" in Frost's poem The Road Not Taken, which was a gentle satire on his great friend, and fellow Dymock Poet, Edward Thomas. In 2011 the village featured on Countryfile, where the Dymock poets were looked into in more detail.

Dymock is the origin of the Dymock Red, a cider apple, and Stinking Bishop cheese.

In the village of Dymock there are several interesting buildings which include cruck beam cottages; "The White House", which was the birthplace of John Kyrle - the "Man of Ross" in 1637, Ann Cam School of 1825 and St Mary's Church, a patchwork history in brick and stone with Anglo-Norman origins. Nearby stands the only remaining village pub, which was purchased by Parish Council to help preserve a thriving village. The pub is rented and run by a landlord and supported by a local fundraising and social committee "Friends of the Beauchamp Arms" (FOBA).

The Beauchamp Arms, Dymock

Dymock was served by the Hereford & Gloucester Canal, opened in 1845; this closed in 1881 and the section between Ledbury and Gloucester converted into a railway line, a branch line of the Great Western Railway, though a stretch between Dymock and Newent was by-passed as it was decided not to take the line through the 2,192 yard Oxenhall Tunnel. Dymock had a station on this line. The line closed in 1959, but the canal (including the tunnel), is now being restored.

Dymock gave its name to a school of Romanesque sculpture first described in the book The Dymock School of Sculpture by Eric Gethin Jones (1979). The school is noted for its use of stepped volute capitals and its stylised "tree of life" motif on tympana.

Dymock is the ancestral home of the Dymoke family who are the Royal Champions of England. It is thought that the Dymokes first lived at Knight's Green, an area just outside of the village of Dymock.

Governance

The village falls in the 'Bromesberrow and Dymock' electoral ward. This ward starts in the north at Dymock and ends in the south at Kempley. The ward total population taken at the 2011 census was 1,901.[2]

References

  1. ^
  2. ^
  • Eric Gethin Jones: The Dymock School of Sculpture 1979
  • Thomas Hinde: The Domesday Book, England’s Heritage, Then & Now 1985

External links

  • Dymock Community Web Site
  • Dymock Family Web Site (England, U.S.A., and Canada. With extensive information on the Royal Champions
  • Photos of Dymock and surrounding area on geograph.org.uk
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.