World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Eržvilkas

Article Id: WHEBN0028150587
Reproduction Date:

Title: Eržvilkas  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jurbarkas District Municipality
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Eržvilkas

Eržvilkas (Yiddish, Erzhvilik ערז׳וויליק)
Town
Eržvilkas (Yiddish, Erzhvilik ערז׳וויליק)
Eržvilkas (Yiddish, Erzhvilik ערז׳וויליק)

Coordinates: 55°15′50″N 22°42′30″E / 55.26389°N 22.70833°E / 55.26389; 22.70833

Country  Lithuania
County Taurage County
Population (2001)
 • Total 518
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Eržvilkas is a town in Taurage County, Lithuania. According to the 2001 census, the town has a population of 518 people.[1]

Erzvilkas ( Lithuanian : Eržvilkas , Polish, Erzwiłki , Russian : Эржвилки , German, Erschwilken ) is a town in western Lithuania . According to local tradition, the source of the name of the town is the words " stallion " ( eržilas ) and " wolf " ( vilkas ) in Lithuanian. According to tradition, when the Crusaders arrived in town they captured the local castle . A castle warden wearing the skin of a wolf returned, and he crept closely to the Crusaders' horses, grazing in the grass before the castle, and the smell of wolf fur terrified the horses and they bolted. The Crusaders came out from the castle to pursue their fleeing horses and the castle wardens ambushed them, thus regaining the castle.

Located in the town center is a health clinic, dairy, library, church, and a memorial to the "Defenders of the freedom of Lithuanian people." In the vicinity is a burial site dating from the 9th century to the 13th century. The town itself is documented since the 16th century . In the 17th century the first church was built, and was made ​​of wood . This church was remodeled in the 18th and 19th centuries, and expanded in 1907.

In 1847 the town was damaged by fire, and during the Polish uprising of 1863-1864 ( " November Revolution " ) rebel troops occupied it for a short period . At the end of the 19th century the town started a hospital , pharmacy and hospice, and in the 1930's the town a built a hydropower plant.

During the communist regime the main settlement in the town formed a collective farm .

In 1941, upon the German invasion, the Jewish residents of the town were quickly murdered. Only several Jewish residents survived. Other townspeople were deported.

After World War II some of the townspeople were deported, this time by Soviet authorities on suspicion of anti- communist activities .


Jewish Erzvilkas

Before World War II there were about 180 Jews, a synagogue, library and hebrew school. The Germans invaded the town in June 1941, and in July assembled the Jews in a hastily constructed ghetto.

In September 1941 the Jewish townspeople were taken to the forest and were shot.


The Jewish Settlement - Till After World War I

Jews settled in Erzvilkas at the beginning of the 19th century. They engaged primarily in petty trade. About 100 Jewish families lived in the town on the eve of WWI. The number of Jews in Erzvilkas decreased gradually during the period of Independent Lithuania and prior to WWII the town had only 45 Jewish families. Many of the town's Jews emigrated abroad. In accordance with the declaration of autonomy for the Jews that was legislated by the Lithuanian government, a ruling committee of 7 members was elected in Erzvilkas: 4 from the General Zionists and 3 were nonpartisans. The committee was active for a number of years in most areas of Jewish life in the town. In 1921, in the elections for the sub district committee, 22 members were elected and 2 of them were Jews.

During the period under discussion, most of the town's Jews engaged in petty trade and some of them in labor. Almost all of them had a piece of land, horses and cattle, and they managed their lives in the village like their Lithuanians neighbors, with whom they generally had good relations. Quite a few Jewish families received support from their relatives abroad. Generally speaking, the economic conditions of the town's Jews were good. According to the 1931 Lithuanian government census, the town had 5 stores, 4 of them were owned by Jews: one inn and 3 general goods stores. In 1937, Erzvilkas had 6 Jewish artisans: a glazier, a carpenter, a tailor, a barber, a butcher and a watchmaker. In 1939, the town had 23 telephones, 4 of them were owned by Jews.

The town's Jewish children studied in the town's Hebrew school. The town also had a library with books in Hebrew and Yiddish.

Religious life concentrated around the Beit Midrash (synagogue) . Among the Rabbis who served in Erzvilkas were: Rabbi Ze'ev-Wolf Lerman (from 1890); Rabbi Natan-Netz Doglianski; Rabbi Ze'ev Rapeiko (from 1933), who perished in the Holocaust together with his congregation.

The Jews of Erzvilkas were involved in Zionist activities even during the period of “Hovevei Zion” (Lovers of Zion). Tzvi Shapira, who was born in the town and who later became a professor of mathematics at Heidelberg University, was one of the leaders of “Hovevei Zion” and one of the founders of “Keren Kayemet LeYisrael”. Zionist activities continued in the town during the period of Independent Lithuania, and the town's Jews supported all Zionist parties. The results of the votes to the 18th and 19th Zionist Congresses in Erzvilkas are shown in the table below:

Branches of “HeKhalutz” and “HeKhalutz HaTzair” were active in the town from 1932. Among other things, they were also active in fundraising for the national funds.

Erzvilkas is the birthplace of Rabbi Shimon Glazer (1877-1939), who translated Maimonides' “Mishneh Torah” into English (New York, 1926), and published in English the book “History of the Jews” (6 volumes, New York, 1930).


During World War II and Afterwards

In 1940 Lithuania was annexed by the Soviet Union, becoming a Soviet Republic. All Zionist parties and youth organizations were disbanded. The Hebrew educational institutions were shut down. The petty merchants, who made their living mostly from their ancillary farms, were not harmed economically under the new regime.

On the first day of the outbreak of the war between Germany and the Soviet Union, on June 22, 1941, the German army entered Erzvilkas on that very evening. Many of the town's Jews, who tried to escape to the villages in the surrounding areas, were forced to return to their homes a few days later because the Germans were already in that area and the farmers, with whom the Jews were acquainted before the invasion, were no longer willing to help them. When they returned to the town, they discovered that their Lithuanian neighbors had emptied their homes of their belongings. The better houses were taken by the Germans. Lithuanian police made lists of those who returned to the town and gathered all of them in the Bet Midrash. Two days later, they were ordered to “settle” themselves in seven houses in the “Public Bath” street. They had to report every morning at the market square and do work which included washing toilets with their bare hands, burying dead soldiers from the Red Army, washing the floors where Germans and Lithuanians resided, and so on. They were guarded by the Lithuanian auxiliary police who beat and tortured them. Those very same Lithuanians also guarded the 7 houses in the ghetto, which was fenced by barbed wire. The Lithuanian guards used to threaten the Jews, and took from them money, valuables, boots, and other things. On August 21, 4 young Jews who were active during the period of Soviet Rule, were shot to death together with 4 Lithuanian communists. On August 28, some Lithuanians brought several Jewish men who had farms in the villages in the surrounding areas and locked them up in the Bet Midrash together with 31 other local Jewish men. They were tortured at night and were forced to do “physical exercises”. The Lithuanians also took from them everything that was in their pockets and stole their clothes and boots. On the following morning, the Lithuanians led them half naked to a ditch across the municipality where coarse sand was extracted, and where 42 Lithuanian policemen were already waiting for them, ready to shoot them. The shooting was postponed for a few weeks because the German commander of the town arrived at the scene. The Lithuanians spread a rumor that the Jews will be transferred to the Batakiai camp, about 18 km from Erzvilkas. They also encouraged them to take with them as many things as possible. On September 15, 1941 (23 Elul, 5071), all the Jews of Erzvilkas were loaded on wagons, which were taken from farmers in the surrounding areas, and were transported to the police headquarters, where all Jewish adults were made to handover all their money and all the valuables that they still possessed. Their bundles were also searched. Then, the Jews were taken to the Batakiai camp where trucks waited for them and which transported them to the Gryblaukis Forest, 22 km northeast of Taurage. The pits were already prepared for them at a distance of 2 km to the right of the Taurage-Skaudvile road and where hundreds of people were already murdered there earlier. The Jews of Erzvilkas were murdered with extreme brutality in those pits. According to Soviet sources, about 1000 victims, mostly women and children, are buried in those mass graves.

A few dozen Jews were hidden by Lithuanians in the villages, but most of them were caught very quickly, including Rabbi Rapeiko and his family, and were murdered. Of all the Jews of Erzvilkas, only 22 survived by hiding with the help of Lithuanian farmers. They were quite often forced to change their place of hiding. After the war, the survivors reported to the Soviet authorities the names of the murderers, many of whom were caught and punished; a few of them were hanged. When the war started, 8 Jews from the town were able to escape to the Soviet Union (2 of them passed away there). The names of some of the Lithuanian people who rescued Jews are kept in the Yad Vashem archives.

References


≤http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/pinkas_lita/lit_00157.html≥ ≤Central Zionist Archives, Jerusalem, files 55/1701, 55/1788, 13/15/131, Z-4/2548≥ ≤Yad Vashem Archives, Jerusalem, M-9/15(6); M-8/45/36/291, 278; Koniukhovsky Collection 0-71, files 40 41≥ ≤Masines Zudynes Lietuvoje (Mass Murders in Lithuania) Volume 2.≥

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.