World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Francis Place (artist)

Article Id: WHEBN0027558465
Reproduction Date:

Title: Francis Place (artist)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of British artists, 1728 in art, 1647 in art
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Francis Place (artist)

For the English social reformer (1771-1854), see Francis Place.


Francis Place (1647 – 21 September 1728) was an English gentleman draughtsman, potter, engraver and printmaker, active mainly in York.

He was the fifth son of Rowland Place (1616–1680) of Dinsdale, county Durham, and his wife, Catherine (died 1670), daughter and coheiress of Charles Wise of Copgrove, Yorkshire.

Place entered law as his father had done, and was articled to an attorney at Gray's Inn until the outbreak of the plague forced him to leave both the profession and London in 1665. By this time, Place had already discovered a gift for drawing and engraving through his close friend Wenceslaus Hollar.

About 1680 Place's interests and activities widened further as he became involved with the antiquarian group the York virtuosi, where he eventually settled. Place became a friend of many artists and antiquarians in and around York, including Ralph Thoresby and William Lodge, with whom Place went on many drawing and angling excursions.

As a result of the Popish Plot, during one trip to Wales, Place and Lodge found themselves imprisoned as suspected Jesuit spies.

Place's virtuosity and enthusiasm led him to experiment with oil painting from 1680, stoneware pottery glazing, and the manufacture of porcelain from 1683, which he abandoned in 1694 owing to his lack of commercial success. Only four of his marbled greyware pots are known to have survived, one of which is in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.

About 1680 Place married Mrs Ann Wintringham, with whom he had one daughter, Elizabeth; presumably his wife died, and he married Mrs Ann Wilkinson (1662/1663–1752) in 1693, with whom he had two daughters, Ann and Frances. Place painted himself in oil, possibly at the time of this second marriage (Arbroath collection). He died at his home, King's Manor, York, on 21 September 1728, aged eighty-one, and was buried in St Olave's Church, York.

References and further reading

  •  
  • Tyler, Richard E. G. Francis Place: An artist in the age of observation (1971)

External links

  • Francis Place online (ArtCyclopedia)
  • Part of Tenby Castle in Pembrokeshire ("Gathering the Jewels " - the website for Welsh heritage and culture)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.