World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Free Imperial City of Aachen

Article Id: WHEBN0034945500
Reproduction Date:

Title: Free Imperial City of Aachen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Free Imperial City of Kempten, Free Imperial City of Ulm, Rupert, King of Germany, Free Imperial City of Besançon, Rhineland
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Free Imperial City of Aachen

Free Imperial City of Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle
Freie Reichsstadt Aachen
Free Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire
1306–1801
Flag Coat of arms
Free Imperial City of Aachen
Capital Aachen
Government Republic
Historical era Middle Ages
 -  Settlement founded ca sixth millennium BC
 -  Gained Imp. immediacy 1306
 -  Otto I crowned Emperor 936
 -  Fire devastated city 1656
 -  1st Treaty ended
    War of Devolution

2 May 1668
 -  2nd Treaty ended War
    of Austr. Succession

April – May 1748
 -  Annexed by France 1801
 -  to Kingdom of Prussia 1815
Today part of  Germany

The Free Imperial City of Aachen, known in English by its French name of Aix-la-Chapelle, was a Free Imperial City and spa of the Holy Roman Empire west of Cologne and southeast of the Low Countries, in the Lower Rhenish–Westphalian Circle.[1] The pilgrimages, the Coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor, flourishing industries and the privileges conferred by various emperors made it one of the most prosperous market towns of the Holy Roman Empire.

History

In 1306, Aachen was given Imperial immediacy and declared a Free Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire. Aachen played a part in the league which kept the peace between 1351 and 1387 between the Meuse and the Rhine. In 1450 a rebellion led to the acceptance of the guilds to a share in local government. In the 16th century Aachen began declining in importance and prosperity. It was too close to the Kingdom of France frontier to be safe, and too far from the Holy Roman Empire to be convenient as a capital city. In 1562 the Imperial election and Coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II took place at Frankfurt, a precedent followed until the end of the Holy Roman Empire. The Protestant Reformation brought trouble to Aachen. In 1580 Protestantism got the upper hand; an Imperial ban resulted and was imposed in 1598 by Ernest of Bavaria, archbishop-elector of Cologne. A religious relapse of the city led to a new Matthias Imperial ban in 1613, and in 1614 Ambrogio Spinola's Spanish Army forced the recalcitrant city back into the Catholic fold. In 1656 a great fire destroyed 4,000 houses. This calamity completed the ruin started by the Thirty Years' War.

Aachen hosted several Peace conferences, those ending the War of Devolution and the War of the Austrian Succession. By the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, dated 2 May 1668, Louis XIV of France was compelled, by the Triple Alliance between Kingdom of England, the Dutch Republic, and the Kingdom of Sweden, to abandon the War of Devolution against Southern Netherlands. The treaty forced the King to restore the County of Burgundy, which he had conquered, and to be content with owning twelve Flemish Fortifications. The second Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, dated 18 October, 1748, ended the War of the Austrian Succession. By the terms of the Treaty of Lunéville, Aachen was incorporated in the French First Republic as chief town in the Roer department. Later, the Congress of Vienna gave Aachen to the Kingdom of Prussia.

See also

References

  1. ^ Aachen. 2012. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Retrieved 19 June, 2012, from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/200/Aachen

 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.