World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Itchington

Article Id: WHEBN0001976718
Reproduction Date:

Title: Itchington  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: South Gloucestershire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Itchington

Tytherington is a village in South Gloucestershire, England. The quarry to the west belongs to Hanson plc.

The former Yate to Thornbury railway branch line passes nearby, with two bridges in the village and a tank engine near the quarry entrance as reminders of the railway. The line now ends at the quarry and is used for the transport of stone, but used to continue through a tunnel under the A38, to Thornbury. Tytherington had its own small station on the single track line: it opened in 1872 and closed to passengers in 1944.

In the village there is a park, a former primary school (now used as the village hall), the Swan public house, a community shop, a church and a Baptist chapel. The community shop has a Post Office branch which has now reopened after being under threat of closure.

To the north-east of the village stands Tytherington Hill (Milbury Heath. To the south of Tytherington is the hamlet of Itchington which includes an old lime works, which is now at the centre of a small development of 18 new homes..

Sport and leisure

Tytherington has a Non-League football club Tytherington Rocks F.C. who play at Hardwicke Playing Field.

External links

  • Tytherington village website
  • Tytherington Parish Council website

Coordinates: 51°35′46″N 2°28′14″W / 51.59620°N 2.47059°W / 51.59620; -2.47059

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.