World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jacopo del Casentino

Article Id: WHEBN0010377545
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jacopo del Casentino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Spinello Aretino, Denver Art Museum, Bonnefanten Museum, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Jacques Goudstikker, Master of the Cappella Medici Polyptych
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jacopo del Casentino

Tabanacle at Santa Maria della Tromba, Florence, Italy

Jacopo del Casentino (c. 1297 – 1358) was an Italian painter called Jacopo Landino or da Prato Vecchio, active mainly in Tuscany. At Arezzo, he became a pupil of Taddeo Gaddi and followed his master to Florence, where they founded in 1349 the Company of Painters under the patronage of the Virgin and Saints John the Baptist, Saint Zenobius, Saint Reparata, and Saint Luke.

He remained in Florence until 1354, and then returned to Arezzo, where he superintended the rebuilding of the waterworks of the Fonte de Guinizzelli. He painted many frescoes in that town, now disappeared. The church of San Bartolommeo had a fresco of the Dead Christ mourned by the Virgin and St. John the Evangelist. He was the master of Agnolo Gaddi, Spinello Aretino, and his son Francesco Landino was blind and a famous composer. In Florence, he painted for the Orsanmichele, and the cathedral.

References

  • Farquhar, Maria (1855). Ralph Nicholson Wornum, ed. Biographical catalogue of the principal Italian painters. Woodfall & Kinder, Angel Court, Skinner Street, London; Digitized by Googlebooks from Oxford University copy on Jun 27, 2006. p. 41. 
  • Bryan, Michael (1889). Walter Armstrong and Robert Edmund Graves, ed. (Volume II L-Z)Dictionary of Painters and Engravers, Biographical and Critical . York St. #4, Covent Garden, London; Original from Fogg Library, Digitized May 18, 2007: George Bell and Sons. pp. page 11. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.