World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

London Underground 1935 Stock

 

London Underground 1935 Stock

1935 Stock
In service 1936–1976
Manufacturer Metro Cammell
Specifications
Car length 52 ft 6 in (16.00 m)
Width 8 ft 6 14 in (2.597 m)
Height 9 ft 5 12 in (2.883 m)
Notes
London Transport portal

London Underground 1935 Stock was an experimental train design by Metropolitan Cammell in London. Twelve two-car units (marshalled into four six-car trains) were built.

Three of these trains had the cars streamlined, based upon trial with a 1923 Standard Stock Control Trailer built by Metropolitan Cammell. The cars in the fourth set had flat fronts almost identical to the later 1938 stock, for which the cars of the 1935 Stock were in effect the prototypes.

These were the first tube cars built for London Underground with the motors and control equipment, etc., under the frame, freeing the space behind the cabs for use by passengers. For evaluation purposes each trainset had different equipment.

The cars were used on the Piccadilly line from 1937 to 1940. During World War II all the 1935 Stock cars were stored at Cockfosters depot. After the war the streamlined cars were sent to Acton works, where they were rebuilt into trailer cars, used with the 1938 stock. They were eventually withdrawn between 1972 and 1976. The unit with the flat fronts re-entered service and was also used with the 1938 stock, the main difference between the 1935 Stock and 1938 stock DMs being that the driver's door on the 1935 stock was taller, extending into the roof.

Contents

  • Numbers 1
  • Trailers 2
  • Further use 3
  • External links 4

Numbers

The 1935 stock consisted only of Driving Motor (DMs) cars. The number series was continued for the DMs of the 1938 Stock

'A' DM 'D' DM
10000 - 10011 11000 - 11011

Trailers

It had originally been planned that three trailer cars would be inserted into the three streamlined units, to lengthen them from six- to seven-car units. These would have been similar to 1938 stock trailers except that they had no compressors. After the war these three cars instead became part of the 1938 Stock and were numbered 012412 - 012414, being fitted with compressors.

In the 1950s three 'Standard Stock' trailers were rebuilt to operate with the remaining flat-front DMs. These three cars were renumbered 7510-7512 and were withdrawn at the same time as the DMs.

Further use

After World War II the streamlined cab DMs were rebuilt into trailers for use with the 1938 Stock. These cars were renumbered 012477 - 012494. As trailers they were easily identifiable from 1938 Stock trailers, with only three windows between the end single door and the first double door, while the 1938 Stock had four. The last of these trailers, 012489, was withdrawn in 1976.

Following electrification of the Epping-Ongar section of the Central line in 1957, the service was operated by 2-car units of 1935 Stock until replacement by 1962 Stock several years later.

Upon withdrawal from passenger service in 1966, two of the 1935 stock DMs were converted into a test train, which was scrapped in 1975.

External links

  • London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
    • Streamlined 1935 stock cars 11000 & 10000, 1936
    • End view of streamlined 1935 stock car, 1936
    • Flat-fronted 1935 stock cars 11009 & 10009, 1937
    • End view of flat-fronted 1935 stock car, 1937
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.