World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

London Underground M and N Stock

 

London Underground M and N Stock

M and N Stock
Interior of N/Q35 Stock at London Transport Museum Acton Depot
In service 1935–1971
Manufacturer BRC&W (M Stock) and Metro-Cammell (N Stock)
Specifications
Car length 50 ft (15.24 m)
Width 8 ft 11 516 in (2.726 m)
Height 12 ft 3 12 in (3.747 m)
Weight DM 34.03 long tons (34.58 t; 38.11 short tons)
T 23.82 long tons (24.20 t; 26.68 short tons)
Seating 42
Notes
London Transport portal

The London Underground M Stock and N Stock were similar designs of rolling stock built in 1935. As the new cars were urgently required they were based on existing designs (K Stock and L Stock). Several years after construction both types were absorbed into the Q Stock. The last of these trains were withdrawn in 1971.

London Underground M Stock

London Underground M Stock was a clerestory-roofed rail stock built for the Hammersmith & City line in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The M Stock was based on the 1927 K stock. Twenty-eight cars were built in 1935 by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company: fourteen were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. All the driving motor cars were converted to trailers between 1947 and 1955.

The M Stock was the first surface stock to be delivered with air-operated doors.

Upon conversion to Q Stock, all the cars were transferred to the District line (with the Hammersmith and City Line services being operated from 1938 onwards by new trains of O Stock).

London Underground N Stock

London Underground N Stock was a type of clerestory-roofed stock built in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The N Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock. Twenty-six cars, all trailers, were built in 1935 by Metropolitan Cammell.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.