World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mansfeld

Article Id: WHEBN0004998568
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mansfeld  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: German Emperor, Franz Wilhelm Junghuhn, Martin Luther, Hettstedt, Harz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mansfeld

Mansfeld
Old town, view from the castle
Old town, view from the castle
Coat of arms of Mansfeld
Coat of arms
Mansfeld   is located in Germany
Mansfeld
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Saxony-Anhalt
District Mansfeld-Südharz
Government
 • Mayor Dietmar Sauer (SPD)
Area
 • Total 143.78 km2 (55.51 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 9,327
 • Density 65/km2 (170/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 06343
Dialling codes 034782
Vehicle registration MSH
Website www.stadt-mansfeld.de

Mansfeld is a town in the district of Mansfeld-Südharz, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.

Protestant reformator Martin Luther grew up in Mansfeld, and in 1993 the town became one of sixteen places in Germany to be designated a Lutherstadt for this reason.

Contents

  • Geography 1
    • Town districts 1.1
  • History 2
  • Politics 3
  • Notable people 4
  • References 5

Geography

It is situated east of the Harz mountain range on the river Wipper, a left tributary of the Saale, about 35 km (22 mi) northwest of Halle. Together with neighbouring Eisleben, it is part of the historic Mansfeld Land region, roughly corresponding to the former district of Mansfelder Land which in 2007 merged into present Mansfeld-Südharz district.

Mansfeld station is a stop on the Mansfeldbahn railway line (Wipperliese), a branch of the Berlin-Blankenheim railway, running from Klostermansfeld to Wippra.

Town districts

The township currently comprises 15 districts (Ortschaften):

  • Gorenzen
  • Großörner
  • Hermerode
  • Mansfeld proper
  • Möllendorf

History

The House of Mansfeld, whose members belonged to the Saxon nobility and served as counts in the Hassegau, was first documented in a 973 deed. The counts built Mansfeld Castle, whose foundations date back to the late 11th century, when one Hoyer of Mansfeld served as field marshal to Emperor Henry V. The first reference of the fortress coincides with the extinction of the elder line in 1229. The estates were inherited by the Lords of Querfurt, who also adopted the comital title, calling themselves Counts of Mansfeld from that time on.

Mansfeld town and castle, 1650 engraving by Matthäus Merian

The settlement of Mansfeld received Möhra, father to Martin Luther and Mansfeld citizen from 1484, was employed as a master smelter. Luther's family had arrived into a modest prosperity, he himself attended the local school between 1488 and 1496. The building known as "Luther's School" had to be torn down and rebuilt in 2000 due to structural problems. His parents' house is preserved and today a museum. Luther also acted as an altar server at the St George parish church.

The Counts of Mansfeld had already lost Imperial immediacy in 1580. When the comital line finally became extinct in 1780, the estates around Mansfeld were incorporated into the Prussian Duchy of Magdeburg. The town retained the status of an independent city (Immediatstadt), it was temporarily part of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Westphalia and after the 1815 Congress of Vienna belonged to the Prussian Province of Saxony.

Politics

Town hall

Seats in the town's assembly (Stadtrat) as of 2014 local elections:

Notable people

References

  1. ^ "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden – Stand: 31.12.2013" (PDF).  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.