World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Margravial Opera House

Article Id: WHEBN0013317094
Reproduction Date:

Title: Margravial Opera House  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bayreuth, Opera house, Giove in Argo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Margravial Opera House

The Margravial Opera House (German: Markgräfliches Opernhaus) or Margrave's Opera House is a Baroque opera house in the town of Bayreuth, Germany, built between 1744 and 1748 by Joseph Saint-Pierre (de). It is one of Europe's few surviving theatres of the period and has been extensively restored. The interior was designed by Giuseppe Galli Bibiena and his son Carlo of Bologna in the late Baroque style. Princess Wilhelmine of Prussia (the older sister of Frederick the Great), wife of the Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, participated here as writer, player, composer, actor and director. Today she features in a sound-and-light presentation for tourists.

The stage's great depth (27 metres)[1] attracted Richard Wagner, who later had his Bayreuth Festspielhaus built north of the town.

Each September from the year 2000 to 2009, the theatre hosted the Bayreuther Baroque festival, with performances of early operatic rarities. The 2009 festival included performances of Andrea Bernasconi's festa teatrale, L'Huomo, to a libretto by the Margravine Wilhelmine.

On 30 June 2012 the opera house was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List.[2]

The theatre is closed since August of 2012 for extensive refurbishment and redevelopment, a process which is expected to take several years to complete.

References

External links

  • Official Information (English)
  • Information on the annual Bayreuther Barock Festival held in the opera house

Coordinates: 49°56′40″N 11°34′42″E / 49.944371°N 11.578302°E / 49.944371; 11.578302

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.