World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Michałów Land

Article Id: WHEBN0005412877
Reproduction Date:

Title: Michałów Land  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Leszek of Inowrocław, Gdańsk Pomerania, Geography of Prussia, Przemysł of Inowrocław
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Michałów Land

Michałów Land or Michelauer Land (Polish: Ziemia michałowska, Latin: Terra Michaloviensis) is a historical region in central Poland, now part of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodship. During the Middle Ages, it was a disputed territory between the Kingdom of Poland and the Teutonic Knights.

Contents

  • Name 1
  • Geography 2
  • History 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

Name

It was named after Castle Michelau/Michałowo (it is part of the city of Brodnica (Strasburg), which was destroyed well before 1789).

Geography

From a geographical perspective, it was sometimes also considered part of Kulmerland, although it is east of the river Drwęca (Drewenz). The land of Michałowo and Lubawa (Löbau) were part of Prussian territory in direct vicinity of the Kulmerland.

History

Conquered in the 11th century a territory named Masovia developed as borderland between the Prussians and Masovians, who at a time of the fragmentation of Poland had made themselves independent of the Polish rulers. The small territories of Michelau and Löbau were bouncing back and force in between.

The rulers of Kujavia and Masovia had given lands to the monk and apostle of the Prussians, Christian of Oliva, He was declared first bishop of Prussia by the pope and he also bought additional territories. A Prussian chieftain had given bishop Christian his land Löbau, by accepting Christianisation at Rome.

In 1303 the Teutonic Order state received the territory as lien and in 1317 they bought it and received all rights from the Duke of Kujavia. Over the next few centuries, as Masovia was reabsorbed into the Kingdom of Poland, the Michelauer land became one of the territories often contested between Poland and the Order. After the Second Peace of Toruń it was incorporated into Poland, as part of the Chełmno Voivodeship.

The area is mentioned in the Treaty of Lake Melno.

See also

External links

  • 1500s Map of Old Prussian Land (Altpreussen) with Culmerland, Sassen, Galindia (Michelau and Löbau) Michelauer Land and Lobovia on the Border to Masovia to the south of Prussia, before arrival of Teutonic Knights

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.