World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Milton, Kent

Article Id: WHEBN0008586123
Reproduction Date:

Title: Milton, Kent  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alfred the Great, Lathe (county subdivision), William Fuller (imposter), List of rural districts in England and Wales 1894–1930
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Milton, Kent

Milton-next-Gravesend was, and still is, one of the ancient ecclesiastical parishes in the NW of the county of Kent, England. When Gravesend became a town under Royal Charter in the 13th century, Milton was included within it. Much of the parish was, until c. 1840, rural. The boundary between the two parishes is centred up Gravesend town High Street (which puts the old Town Hall in Milton, not Gravesend), continuing up Windmill Street and Singlewell Road. The spread of the town could only take place to the east - Northfleet lies to the west - so that much of the 'newer' parts of Gravesend built since 1840 lie within Milton parish.

Churches

There are two Church of England churches in Milton: the ancient parish church, dedicated to St Peter and Paul,51°26′21″N 0°23′08″E / 51.4391°N 0.3855°E / 51.4391; 0.3855Coordinates: 51°26′21″N 0°23′08″E / 51.4391°N 0.3855°E / 51.4391; 0.3855 which is located in the original settlement;[1] and Christ Church, located at the western end of the original eccelesiastical parish. The latter was built in 1856 when the town of Gravesend began to grow eastwards.[2] There is also a United Reformed Church (St Paul's) and two small independent churches.

St Peter and St Paul had a ring of five bells cast in 1656 by John Hodson. A treble was added in 1810 (cast by Thomas Mears II) and the ring was further augmented to 8 by two new trebles in 1930 (cast by Mears & Stainbank). The tenor is just under 12 cwt, tuned to F#.[3]

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.