World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Monte Berico

Article Id: WHEBN0008765124
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monte Berico  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vicenza, Baroque architecture in Vicenza, Alessandro Maganza, Marian shrines, 2015 Team Sky season
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Monte Berico

Basilica of St. Mary of Mount Berico
Facade
Basic information
Location Vicenza, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Year consecrated 1435
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Minor basilica (1904)
Website www.monteberico.it
Architectural description
Architect(s) Orazio Marinali
Nicolò da Venezia
Carlo Borrello
Giacomo Bragadin
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Baroque
Groundbreaking 1430, 1688
Completed 1703
Capacity 1,500 +
Length 42 m
Width 27 m
Width (nave) 13 m
Materials Stone and marble


The Church of St. Mary of Mount Berico (Italian: Basilica di S. Maria di Monte Berico) is a Roman Catholic and minor basilica in Vicenza, northern Italy. The church is a Marian shrine, and stands at the top of a hill which overlooks the city.

Contents

  • Origins 1
  • Piazzale della Vittoria 2
  • The Madonna 3
  • Restoration 4
  • Architecture 5
  • External links 6

Origins

According to the legend, the Blessed Virgin appeared on the hill twice to a peasant worker named Vincenza Pasini; the first time occurred on March 7, 1426, the second on August 1, 1428. At this time in the Veneto, the people and economy had been suffering from a terrible plague for years. The Madonna promised that if the people of Vicenza built a church on the top of the hill she would rid them of the plague. The people kept their promise and the church was built in 3 months.

The original church later became a sanctuary. It was projected by the architect Carlo Borella (1688) and was decorated by the sculptor Orazio Marinali from Bassano. The city of Vicenza ordered an inquiry through the Notary Publics a to look into these two exceptional events. The inquiry followed through during November, 1430. The court recordings are still preserved today in the city library, 'Biblioteca Civica Bertoliana'.

The first religious services of the basilica were given to the Order of Bridgettines (the Franciscan Order of Santa Brigida) by the city on November 2, 1429. At the end of May, 1435, the nuns of Saint Brigid were ordered to leave the basilica by order of Pope Eugene IV on March 18, 1435, and were ordered to return to their original way of life of their order's foundation.

The Vicenza city magistracy was given the rights to Monte Berico. They then proceeded to cede the church and convent to the Servite Order(Servants of Mary) on May 31, 1435. The next day, Francesco Malipiero, the bishop of Vicenza, gave the chapel the name that still exists today.

In 1821 were casted the 15 bells in B, rung in the Veronese bellringing art.

Piazzale della Vittoria

Piazzale della Vittoria is the square in front of the basilica which was dedicated September 23, 1924. It lies at the front of the northern facade and show a full view of the city of Vicenza. A vast circular cement railing circles around this large open balcony, which looks out over the city.

On the top of the railings there are markers that point out the well-known cities and panoramic views. One of the best known views is Monte Grappa. Some other sites that can be viewed are the foothills of the Alps (Dolomites), along with the Lessini hills, Venetian Lagoon, Mount Pasubio, Piave River, and many other sites in the Veneto.

The Madonna

The statue of the Virgin Mary was sculpted by Nicolò da Venezia in 1430, two years after the second apparition to a local peasant named Vincenza Pasini.

Restoration

The original basilica has been restored repeatedly during the centuries, sometimes with famous architects such as Palladio, Piovene and Miglioranza. All these changes are still visible today.

Architecture

The stairs constructed in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1595 were ordered by Giacomo Bragadin, a leading figure of the Republic of Venice in Vicenza. The stairway terminates in a small open clearing halfway up the hill where there is a view of the city below.

This walkway currently connects the city with the Sanctuary of the Madonna. These stairs were designed and built by Francesco Muttoni on March 7, 1746. The total length of the stairs is around 700 meters, consisting of 150 arches, grouped in tens. Each group is divided to symbolize the 15 mysteries and the 150 Hail Marys in the rosary.

The church contains a number of artworks, including:

The supper of St. Greogory recalls an event wherein, Gregory who always dined with 12 individuals to recall the last supper, once found that while dining an unexpected pilgrim arrived . Later this pilgrim identified himself as Jesus. The monkey in chain supposedly symbolizes paganism; while the dog symbolizes the power of fealty.

  • Pietà by Bartolomeo Montagna (early 1500s)
  • Virgin with four evangelists and the Baptism of Christ, by Alessandro Maganza
  • The main altarpiece depicts an ‘’Allegory of the people of Vicenza present the church of Monte Berico to the Virgin’’ by Giulio Carponi.

External links

  • Sanctuary Monte Berico's Web site (English)
  • Comune di Vicenza (Italian)
  • Museum of the Sanctuary
  • [1]
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.