Neuland Lighthouse

Neuland
Neuland Lighthouse from the southeast near Behrensdorf
Neuland Lighthouse
Location Hohwacht Bay, Baltic Sea
Coordinates 21.639|N|10|36.056|E|type:landmark name=

}}

Year first constructed 1916
Year first lit 1918
Deactivated 1996
Construction Brick
Tower shape Octagonal unpainted brick tower with grey lantern
Height 40 metres (131 ft)
Focal height 40 metres (131 ft)
Original lens Fresnel lens
Current lens Rotating mirror
Admiralty number C1276
NGA number 3136
ARLHS number FED-164

Neuland Lighthouse (German: Leuchtturm Neuland) is a lighthouse in the north German state of Schleswig-Holstein on the Baltic Sea coast that was active from 1918 to 1996. It stands on the western shore of Hohwacht Bay about 1 kilometre north of the village of Behrensdorf. The lighthouse was built in 1915/16 and taken into service in 1918. It is built of brick and is 40 metres high. The light is 40 metres above sea level. The original red and white painting was removed in 1985 when the tower underwent a modernisation.

The original lens was a Fresnel lens with a focus of 400 m. It was replaced by a rotating mirror optic in 1996 when the regular light was deactivated and the tower was transferred to the German Navy. The tower has since been used as a warning light displaying red and yellow signals when live firing is conducted in the military training grounds at the Howacht Bay.[1]

The lighthouse is displayed in the arms of Behrensdorf and was featured on a German stamp in 2006.

References

External links

  • (German)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.