World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nidarholm Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0017128701
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nidarholm Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Matthew Paris, Magnus IV of Norway, Munkholmen, Theodoric the Monk, Steinvikholm Castle, Jens Tillufssøn Bjelke
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Nidarholm Abbey

Nidarholm Abbey was a Benedictine monastery located on the island of Munkholmen in the Trondheimfjord on the sea approach to Trondheim, Norway.

History

The monastery was founded either in 1028 by Canute the Great, or in about 1100 by Sigurd Ullstreng, a vassal of Magnus Berrføtt. It was dedicated to Saint Benedict and Saint Laurence. The monastery had some connection with the Cluniacs, but it seems that this connection consisted of the introduction of local reforms based on the practices of Cluny, rather than membership of the Cluniac Order and subordination to Cluny as such.

The English monk and chronicler Matthew of Paris was asked in 1248, while on a diplomatic mission to King Haakon IV, to supervise a reform of Nidarholm.

The monastery was a powerful and wealthy one, and traded with England, but suffered serious fires in 1210 and 1317, after which it became less prominent. A final fire took place in 1531 shortly before the Reformation.

Nidarholm was the last Roman Catholic stronghold in Norway during the Reformation, under Olav Engelbrektsson, Archbishop of Nidaros. His men were besieged in 1537 in Nidarholm by the fleet of Jens Splid, and were eventually forced to surrender.

Site

After 1537 the buildings were abandoned to dereliction, and were used as a quarry for the stone to build the fortresses that later stood on Munkholmen. There are no visible remains of the monastery.

Sources

  • Norges klostre i middelalderen: Nidarholm kloster (Norwegian)

Coordinates: 63°27′06″N 10°23′00″E / 63.45167°N 10.38333°E / 63.45167; 10.38333

nn:Munkholmen
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.