World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palácio do Grão-Pará

Article Id: WHEBN0025983064
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palácio do Grão-Pará  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Petrópolis
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palácio do Grão-Pará

Palace of the Grand Pará
Palácio do Grão-Pará
General information
Architectural style Neoclassical
Location Petrópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Coordinates

22°30′28″S 43°10′26″W / 22.50778°S 43.17389°W / -22.50778; -43.17389Coordinates: 22°30′28″S 43°10′26″W / 22.50778°S 43.17389°W / -22.50778; -43.17389

Construction started 1859
Completed 1861
Owner Prince Pedro Carlos of Orléans-Braganza
Design and construction
Architect Theodore Marx

The Palace of the Grand Pará is located in the city of Petrópolis, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

History

Originally built as a guesthouse for the seminarians and priests to the Imperial Court, it became a residence of the Imperial Family. It is located behind the former summer Imperial Palace of Pedro II of Brazil (1840–1889).

The palace was designed by the architect of the Emperor Theodore Marx, with the contribution of de Araújo Porto Alegre. The building has a neoclassical architectural style. Its construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1861.

During the Empire (1822–1889), the palace was intended for the accommodation of councilors and members of representative families, who took turns at the service of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil and his family.

It housed the Court of Justice during the Old Republic. Subsequent to that period, it became, in sequence, the College of Luso-Brazilian (the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves) and the residence of former U.S. ambassador to Brazil Edwin V. Morgan (1865–1934), who served as ambassador from 1912 to 1933.

With the repeal of the ban on Brazilian imperial family in 1921, ownership of the Palace of the Grand Para passed back to the Imperial family, and was used as the residence of the eldest son of Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, who in turn was the daughter of Dom Pedro d'Alcantara, Pedro II of Brazil. Isabel's eldest son, Pedro de Alcântara, Prince of Grão Para, renounced his position as heir in order to contract a marriage to a non-royal; the Palace then passed to his next brother Prince Luiz of Orléans-Braganza in his capacity as Isabel's recognised heir. After his death, the Palace became the residence of the eldest son of Pedro de Alcântara, Prince of Grão Para, D. Prince Pedro Gastão of Orléans-Braganza.

Since 27 December 2007, it has been the residence of Prince Pedro Carlos of Orléans-Braganza, eldest son of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orléans-Braganza; his second son was born in the palace, and his second wife died in residence.

It was registered in 1959 by the Brazilian National Historical and Artistical Heritage Institute.

External links

  • Images of the palace

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.