World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palazzo delle Scuole Palatine

Article Id: WHEBN0031663520
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palazzo delle Scuole Palatine  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Santa Maria della Pace, Milan, Orto Botanico di Cascina Rosa, San Vittore al Corpo, Milan, Palazzo Castiglioni (Milan), Palazzo Mezzanotte
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palazzo delle Scuole Palatine

Palazzo delle Scuole Palatine

The Palace of the Palatine School (in Italian: Palazzo delle Scuole Palatine, or just Scuole Palatine) is a historic building of Milan, Italy, located in Piazza Mercanti, the former city centre in the Middle Ages. It served as the seat of the most prestigious higher school of medieval Milan. Many notable Milanese scholars of different ages studied or taught in these schools; Augustine of Hippo and Cesare Beccaria,[1] among others, served as teachers in the Palatine. The current building dates back to 1644, when it replaced an older one, which had the same function and was destroyed by a fire.

The school was established in Piazza Mercanti under Giovanni Maria Visconti. In 1644, they were destroyed by a fire, and rebuilt based on the prestigious model of the nearby Palazzo dei Giureconsulti, by architect Carlo Buzzi.

The building is decorated with several monuments, including a plaque with an epigram by Ausonius celebrating Milan as the "New Rome" of the 4th century, a statue of Augustine by sculptor Pietro Lasagna, and a statue of Ausonius.

References

  1. ^ Cesare Beccaria

Sources

  • O.P. Melano, Milano di terracotta e mattoni, Mazzotta, 2002
  • A. Lanza and M. Somarè, Milano e suoi palazzi - Porta Vercellina, Comasina e Nuova, Libreria Milanese, pp. 91–93
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.