World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Penzhin Bay

Article Id: WHEBN0025764421
Reproduction Date:

Title: Penzhin Bay  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Anadyr River, History of Siberia, Age of Discovery, Omolon River, Shelikhov Gulf, 61st parallel north, 62nd parallel north, 161st meridian east, 162nd meridian east, 163rd meridian east
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Penzhin Bay


Penzhina Bay (Russian: Пе́нжинская губа́, Penzhinskaya guba), also Penzhin, Penzhinsk or Penzhinskaya Bay, Gulf or Sound, is a long and narrow bay off the northwestern coast of Kamchatka, Russia.

Penzhina Bay is an upper right arm of Shelikhov Bay in the NE corner of the Sea of Okhotsk. It is bounded on the east by the Kamchatka Peninsula and on the west by the Taygonos Peninsula which separates it from Gizhigin Bay. It is about 300 km long and 65 km wide. Near the middle two peninsulas narrow it to 30 km. It freezes from October to May. It has the highest tides of any bay on the Pacific Ocean (9 meters, 12.9m maximum, versus 17 meters in the Bay of Fundy). Its basin is very thinly populated.

The Penzhina River flows into the head of the bay. It is 713 km long and flows east, then south, then southwest to reach the bay. The town of Penzhina was on the middle Penzhina and was visited by George Kennan in 1866. The major tributary of the Penzhina is the Aklan, Oklan or Khayakha River which flows southeast and joins the Penzhina about 50 miles from its mouth. In 1669 the Russians built the ostrog of Aklansk, which was used to subdue the local Koryaks and was an important base on the route south from Anadyrsk to the Kamchatka peninsula before the sea route from Okhotsk opened up. It was attacked by the Koryaks several times and later abandoned.

See also

  • Penzhin TPP project

References

  • Location
  • Penzhin Bay

Coordinates: 61°N 162°E / 61°N 162°E / 61; 162

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.