World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pipewell Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0013156952
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pipewell Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Elkington, Northamptonshire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pipewell Abbey

Coordinates: 52°27′49″N 0°45′57″W / 52.4636°N 0.7659°W / 52.4636; -0.7659

Pipewell
Northamptonshire
OS grid reference SP839857
District Kettering
Shire county Northamptonshire
Region East Midlands
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town Kettering
Postcode district NN14
Dialling code 01536
Police Northamptonshire
Fire Northamptonshire
Ambulance East Midlands
EU Parliament East Midlands
UK Parliament Kettering
List of places
UK
England
Northamptonshire

Pipewell is situated at the edge of the Kettering borough, a mile away from Corby. With 63 inhabitants, it is one of the smallest hamlets in Northamptonshire.

Pipewell was the site of a Cistercian abbey established in 1143 by William Butevilain, and all of the settlement is built around three fields where this used to be, which contains the Harpers Brook, a tributary of the River Nene, running through the centre.[1] It was located within the old Rockingham Forest and some of its income came from sale of the timber and undergrowth.

The abbey was suppressed as part of the Dissolution of Monasteries in November 1538, despite the efforts of local gentleman, Sir William Parr (later Marquess of Northampton).[2] Pipewall Hall was built in 1675 and the abbey remains are contained in its estate. By 1720 no standing masonry was visible.

In 2004, it was proposed that Pipewell would be connected to Corby by a housing development, to be completed by 2050. However this is uncertain as there are two Site of Special Scientific Interest woods at the top of the village and it is a conservation area with the Abbey site of historical interest.

Pipewell also holds Northamptonshire's smallest church building, known as the Abbey Church of St Mary, which was built in 1881.

References

External links

  • the UK National Archives


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.