World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Priekulė, Lithuania

Article Id: WHEBN0006554285
Reproduction Date:

Title: Priekulė, Lithuania  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Klaipeda County, Municipalities of Klaipėda County, Villages in Klaipėda County, Ieva Simonaitytė, Būtingė
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Priekulė, Lithuania

Priekulė
City
Main street toward Klaipėda
Main street toward Klaipėda
Coat of arms of Priekulė
Coat of arms
Priekulė is located in Lithuania
Priekulė
Priekulė
Location of Priekulė
Coordinates:
Country  Lithuania
Ethnographic region Lithuania Minor
County Klaipėda County
Municipality Klaipėda district municipality
Eldership Priekulė eldership
Capital of Priekulė eldership
First mentioned 16th century
Granted city rights 1948
Population (2005)
 • Total 1,690
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Priekulė (   , German: Prökuls) is a small city in Klaipėda district municipality, Lithuania. It is located in the former curonian landscape Lamotina on the banks of Minija River about 20 km south of Klaipėda. Priekulė is the seat of Priekulė elderate. Priekulė was part of East Prussia for most of its history and became part of Lithuania from 1923–1938 and after World War II in 1945.

Contents

  • Name 1
  • History 2
  • Landmarks 3
  • Notable residents 4
  • Literature 5

Name

The curonian-Latvian name describes a market place: "preks": price; "prece": merchandise (see also pr.-lit. "prekius": to offer, to haggle). The ending -uls/ -ol is a diminutive and shows that this place was not of great importance.

History

Priekulė's name is known since the first half of the 16th century. At first it was named Paminia (at river Minia), and it was a small village with three homesteads. 1511 is a tavern "zur Minnige" testified. 1540 is a certain Lukas Preckol owner of the tavern. The name "Precols" was recorded on region maps in 1548. A church was built in 1587 and a teacher was hired in 1594.

In 1609 during the Polish–Swedish War (1600–1611), regiments of the Polish–Lithuanian cavalry plundered the town. In 1688 minister Wilhelm Martin built a new church. In 1905 the village, now known as Prökuls, had 500 residents who were mostly Protestant Lutherans and mainly spoke the Memelland-Samogitian dialect. Before World War II around 1,200 people lived in Priekulė among them very few ethnic Germans.

On December 19, 2002 the city was granted coat of arms by the President of Lithuania.

Landmarks

There is St. Anthony of Padua Church, built in 1938. In the city park grows a centuries old oak, that is preserved as monument of nature. In the city there is a monument to Lithuanian writer Ieva Simonaitytė. Her cottage is turned into memorial museum (established in 1984). Estates of the forefathers of philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724–1804) were located in Kantweinen in the vicinity of Priekulė.

Notable residents

Literature

  • Mortensen, Hans und Gertrud: Kants väterliche Ahnen und ihre Umwelt, Rede von 1952 in Jahrbuch der Albertus-Universität zu Königsberg / Pr., Holzner- Verlag Kitzingen/ Main 1953 Bd. 3
  • Sembritzki, Johannes: Geschichte des Kreises Memel, Memel 1918


This article incorporates text translated from Memeler Dampfboot (German Magazine for people from Memelland, mostly refugees living in Germany) and family history
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.