World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Province of Silesia

Article Id: WHEBN0000378862
Reproduction Date:

Title: Province of Silesia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: German Empire, Silesia, Charles Proteus Steinmetz, Hans-Jürgen von Arnim, Rudolf Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Province of Silesia

Province of Silesia
Provinz Schlesien
Province of Prussia

1815–1919
1938–1941

 

Flag Coat of arms
Flag Coat of arms
Location of Silesia
Silesia Province (red) within Prussia (yellow),
within the German Empire, 1871
Capital Breslau
History
 •  Established 1815
 •  Disestablished 1919
 •  Briefly re-established 1938–1941
Area
 •  1905 40,319 km2 (15,567 sq mi)
Population
 •  1905 4,935,823 
Density 122.4 /km2  (317.1 /sq mi)
Political subdivisions Breslau
Liegnitz
Oppeln

The Province of Silesia (German: Provinz Schlesien; Polish: Prowincja Śląska; Silesian: Prowincyjŏ Ślōnskŏ) was a province of the German Kingdom of Prussia, existing from 1815 to 1919, when it was divided into the Upper and Lower Silesia provinces, and briefly again from 1938 to 1941. As a Prussian province, Silesia became part of the German Empire during the Prussian-led unification of Germany in 1871. The provincial capital was Breslau (present-day Wrocław, Poland).

Geography

Crown land of Silesia until 1742 (outlined in cyan) and Silesia Province from 1815 (outlined in yellow), superimposed on modern international borders

The territory on both sides of the Oder river formed the southeastern part of the Prussian kingdom. It comprised the bulk of the former Bohemian crown land of Upper and Lower Silesia as well as the adjacent County of Kladsko, which the Prussian King Frederick the Great had all conquered from the Austrian Habsburg Monarchy under Empress Maria Theresa in the 18th century Silesian Wars. It furthermore included the northeastern part of Upper Lusatia around Görlitz and Lauban, ceded to Prussia by the Kingdom of Saxony according to the resolutions of the Vienna Congress in 1815.

The province bordered on the Prussian heartland of Brandenburg (including the newly acquired lands of Lower Lusatia) in the northwest, and on the Grand Duchy of Posen (Province of Posen from 1848) in the north, i.e. the Greater Polish lands that before the 18th century Partitions of Poland had belonged to the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the northeast, Upper Silesia bordered on remaining Congress Poland, the Russian partition that was incorporated as Vistula Land by 1867. In the east lay the Austrian share, the Lesser Polish kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria with the Free City of Kraków (until 1846), and in the south the remaining Bohemian crown lands of Austrian Silesia, Moravia and Bohemia proper. The incorporated Upper Lusatian strip of land in the west touched the remaining territory of the Saxon kingdom.

History

Immediately after the coronation of Maria Theresa as Bohemian queen regnant, King Frederick the Great of Prussia had invaded Silesia, thereby starting the War of the Austrian Succession (1740–1748). By the end of the First Silesian War in 1742, the Prussian forces had conquered almost all of the Habsburg crown land, while according to the peace treaties of Breslau and Berlin, only some smaller parts in the extreme southeast, like the Duchy of Teschen as well as the southern parts of the duchies of Troppau and Nysa, remained possessions of the Habsburg Monarchy as Austrian Silesia. Attempts by Maria Theresa to regain the crown land in the Second Silesian War (1744–1745) failed and she ultimately had to relinquish her claims by the Treaty of Dresden.

The Frederick Augustus I of Saxony had to relinquish due to his indecisive attitude in the Napoleonic Wars. As the lands had been part of the Holy Roman Empire until 1806, Silesia was among the western Prussian provinces that laid within the borders of the German Confederation.

Administrative map, 1905

The character of the province's eastern third, Upper Silesia, had been much lesser shaped by the medieval German Ostsiedlung. According to the census of 1905, about three-quarters of the Silesian inhabitants were German–speaking, while a majority of the population to the east of the Oder river spoke Polish (including Silesian and Lach dialects). Because of the extended iron ore and black coal deposits of the Upper Silesian Coal Basin, there was considerable industrialization and urbanization in Upper Silesia and many people from neighbouring Posen and Congress Poland immigrated at that time. The Upper Silesian Industrial Region was the second largest industrial agglomeration of the German Empire after the Ruhr area. Over decades the mainly Catholic Upper Silesian citizens in majority voted for the German Centre Party, while the Lower Silesian constituencies were dominated by the Free-minded Party and the Social Democrats. Ethnic tensions rose on the eve of World War I, with politicians like Wojciech Korfanty separating from the Centre Party and giving utterance to distinct Polish interests.

After the war, the parts remaining in Regierungsbezirk Oppeln) in 1919. After three Silesian Uprisings and the 1921 Upper Silesia plebiscite, the East Upper Silesian part of the province around the industrial town of Katowice (Kattowitz) was transferred to the Second Polish Republic and incorporated into the Silesian Voivodeship in 1922. Further, in 1920 the Hlučín Region was ceded to Czechoslovakia according to the Treaty of Versailles.

After the Nazi Germany conquest of Poland in late 1939, the Province of Silesia was extended when a part of Poland was merged into that province. In 1941, the Province was divided again.

Upon the implementation of the Oder-Neisse line according to the 1945 Potsdam Agreement, most of the Prussian Silesia Province became part of Poland, incorporated into the Lubusz, Lower Silesian, Opole and Silesian Voivodeships. The German-speaking population left or was expelled following World War II, though a minority remains. A smaller western part of the former Silesia Province lies within modern German states of Saxony and Brandenburg.

Administration

Regierungsbezirk Breslau

  1. Breslau
  2. Brieg (from 1907)
  3. Schweidnitz
  • Rural districts (Landkreise)
  1. Breslau
  2. Brieg
  3. Frankenstein
  4. Glatz (former County of Kladsko)
  5. Groß Wartenberg
  6. Guhrau
  7. Habelschwerdt (former County of Kladsko)
  8. Militsch
  9. Münsterberg
  10. Namslau
  11. Neumarkt
  12. Neurode (former County of Kladsko)
  13. Nimptsch
  14. Oels
  15. Ohlau
  16. Reichenbach
  17. Schweidnitz
  18. Steinau
  19. Strehlen
  20. Striegau
  21. Trebnitz
  22. Waldenburg
  23. Wohlau

Regierungsbezirk Liegnitz

  1. Görlitz
  2. Liegnitz
  • Rural districts (Landkreise)
  1. Bolkenhain
  2. Bunzlau
  3. Freystadt
  4. Glogau
  5. Goldberg
  6. Görlitz (former Saxon Upper Lusatia)
  7. Grünberg
  8. Hirschberg
  9. Hoyerswerda (former Saxon Upper Lusatia)
  10. Jauer
  11. Landeshut
  12. Lauban (former Saxon Upper Lusatia)
  13. Liegnitz
  14. Löwenberg
  15. Lüben
  16. Rothenburg (former Saxon Upper Lusatia)
  17. Sagan
  18. Schönau
  19. Sprottau

Regierungsbezirk Oppeln

  1. Beuthen
  2. Gleiwitz
  3. Kattowitz
  4. Königshütte
  5. Oppeln
  6. Ratibor (from 1904)
  • Rural districts (Landkreise)
  1. Beuthen
  2. Cosel
  3. Falkenberg
  4. Groß Strehlitz
  5. Grottkau
  6. Zabrze (from 1915: Hindenburg)
  7. Kattowitz
  8. Kreuzburg
  9. Leobschütz
  10. Lublinitz
  11. Neiße
  12. Neustadt
  13. Oppeln
  14. Pleß
  15. Ratibor
  16. Rosenberg
  17. Rybnik
  18. Tarnowitz
  19. TostGleiwitz

External links

  • Coats of arms of Upper Silesian towns while part of the Province of Silesia (German)
  • Administrative subdivision and population breakdown of the Province of Silesia in 1900/1900 (in German)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.