World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Raudondvaris

Article Id: WHEBN0002988281
Reproduction Date:

Title: Raudondvaris  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kaunas County, Edvinas Dautartas, Kaunas District Municipality, Umiastowski, Nevėžis (river)
Collection: Villages in Kaunas County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Raudondvaris

Raudondvaris
Village
Coat of arms of Raudondvaris
Coat of arms
Raudondvaris is located in Lithuania
Raudondvaris
Raudondvaris
Location of Radondvaris
Coordinates:
Country  Lithuania
Ethnographic region Dzūkija
County Kaunas County
Municipality Kaunas district municipality
Eldership Raudondvaris eldership
Capital of Raudondvaris eldership
First mentioned 1392
Population (2001)
 • Total 4,092
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
St. Theresa church

Raudondvaris is a village on the Neman River in Kaunas district, Lithuania, 10 km (6.2 mi) west of Kaunas.

History

The town was first mentioned in Teutonic chronicles in 1392. The old castle was rebuilt after the Battle of Grunwald and became Grand Duke's property. In 1549 Grand Duke Sigismund II Augustus presented the castle to his wife, Barbara Radziwiłł. After her death the castle fell to ruin. A new Renaissance red brick palace, known as Raudondvaris Castle, was built in 1615 on the high bank of the Nevėžis River by the Radziwiłłs. The palace is surrounded by a park with a palm house (no longer in use). The residence was known for its remarkable fine arts collection, including paintings by da Vinci, Caravaggio, Rubens and del Sarto. The palace belonged to the Tyszkiewicz family until the end of World War I, when it was converted into a shelter for children. It suffered damage during World War II and was rebuilt only in 1959–1973. Currently it houses collections devoted to the Tyszkiewicz family and Juozas Naujalis.

Another notable building in Raudondvaris is the basilica of St. Theresa, founded by Benedykt Tyszkiewicz (rebuilt in the 20th century), with altars painted by Michał Elwiro Andriolli, and Tyszkiewicz family tombstones.

Famous citizens

External links

(Lithuanian) Unofficial website of Raudondvaris

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.